Ford Focus ST Forum banner

St Damage On Motorway

1K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  DeanST 
#1 ·
Just had an unsettling phone call from the Mrs. She was really upset could hardly speak on about damage to my car. Obviously I was mainly concerned she was ok, but after she calmed down it turns out shes down Porthcawl (south wales) had gone down the M4 and a sheet of metal (much like a bonnet she says) came across the motorway was hit byanother car and then she had to swerve lots to avoid it hitting the windscreen. Then it went under the ST.
She parked up and said there is damage to some plastic piece underneath.

So assuming the engine/sump plastic cover and nothing more hopefully.

So long as she is ok
Think ill pop home dinner time to have a look, in the Fiesta today!

See less See more
#28 ·
Hi Dean,

My wife and I had a simi,ar incident 8 years ago up in Scotland. Driving in lane to with a lorry a few hundred yards away in lane 1. Lorry burst a tyre which then shreds, breaks off a whopping big chunk of mudguard with attaching piece of metal tubing. Said piece comes bouncing into lane 2. We had nowhere to go as cars where in lanes 1 and 3.

Hit the chunk of metal and plastic which got caught under the car ripping out brake pipes and cracking the sump. All in over £2000 worth of damage.

Tried to claim off the lorry owners and didn't stand a chance.

You have to prove who is liable for the accident:

The lorry owner would say the tyre was fitted incorrectly, the tyre fitter would say the tyre manufacturer was at fault, the tyre manufacturer would say the lorry manufacturer was at fault for the badly designed mudguard...and on....and on...and on.

Solicitor said it would be nigh on impossible so we just let the insurance pay for the repairs.

Hope this helps.

Bernie

#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
The police will not give a monkey's, the HA wll say they will only provide info to your insurer due to data protection act which is a load of rubish as you are entitled to the ino under section 35 that allows you access for portential legal action etc.

I know all this as something similar happened to my Elise in March, someone lost their load and caused a couple of lanes of the motorway to be closed, debri hit the Elise and went through the armourfend and scraped the paint, repait cost £4K+ (needs a full respray as paint can not be blended/faded).

The guy who lost his load is claiming he was not carrying anything I have sent them info from HA confirming the circumatances let wait and see if the thirdparty admits what happened or if I have to sue him.

Hope you get it sorted but I would not hold out much hope

#30 ·
Glad your other half and baby are ok. I had a similar thing the same day that I picked up my ST. Shredded tyre on M25 hit underside of car and made a hell of a noise. Turned out the radiator protector had broken, but done its job. Shook me and my wife up a bit. Ford quoted about £100 to replace. Hope you manage to get it all sorted.

#31 ·
Thanks all for the info

Phoned HA they said there is not a camera at that part of the motorway! So end of that I guess.

I will have to sort it myself, and I guess even if I had found the other vehicles insurance details its probably not worth bothering as I would of then "made a claim in the last 5 years" possibly increasing my insurance.

Not sure how much the cover is yet, hopefully not too pricey. I should hurry up as I could get a stone hitting the radiator and damaging the core of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.