Ford Focus ST Forum banner

St Damage On Motorway

1K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  DeanST 
#1 ·
Just had an unsettling phone call from the Mrs. She was really upset could hardly speak on about damage to my car. Obviously I was mainly concerned she was ok, but after she calmed down it turns out shes down Porthcawl (south wales) had gone down the M4 and a sheet of metal (much like a bonnet she says) came across the motorway was hit byanother car and then she had to swerve lots to avoid it hitting the windscreen. Then it went under the ST.
She parked up and said there is damage to some plastic piece underneath.

So assuming the engine/sump plastic cover and nothing more hopefully.

So long as she is ok
Think ill pop home dinner time to have a look, in the Fiesta today!

See less See more
Who is HA? If that has come off someone car then they are liable I guess?

Only damage on the ST is the under the engine guard, there is two of them, the outer one is damaged so that you easily put your hand up by the radiator it lots of plastic ripped off. It looks like its just attached by Torx bolts

Also my 3 years old baby was in the back seat, they are all ok.

Ok so that happens then she parks up down in Porthcawl comes back and noticed that some f
sucker has dinged the side door
what a f
ing morning!!

Ive had enough, everyone is ok though thats main thing.

Just wish id been their to smash their heads in
Real p'ed off

Attachments

Discussion starter · #19 ·
QUOTE(Jimmy @ 24 Nov 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I am glad your wife and kid are OK

They will probably a bit shaken all the same

Very annoying about the damage to the door,not a good day at all

Yes she has swapped shifts as was in work tonight and doesnt want to drive on the motorway. Imagine the shock of it all has kicked in.

It is possible that the damage to the door was done in the last few days and I havent noticed but im not sure. The lacquer scratch looks sortable I could get that out with some polish but that dent. ST doorskins seem fairly strong at that point too. It looks like a full open door swing position and I did go to the Asdas saturday night, used 2 spaces but maybe someone had their door full open, not sure.
Bodyshop wants £130 (some great older guys locally who do really good jobs), Fords £250. He said he would have to do the full door.

The engine guard wheres a good place to get that, is it the same as usual focus?

QUOTEHA is the Highways Authority

What would they tell me?

gawd knows, looks like its been pressed in and slide backwards much like a door though.

Im sure sooner or later something is inevitable, just as we do actually care about our cars we notice straight away.

Bloke in bodyshop said to mrs., "uh oh your are in trouble, these cars are normally the pride and joy of the owners"

But hey after what happened its nothing
(NOTHING what you mean?
)

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Home now and all is ok, she is real stressed out about it and has booked the car into the bodyshop but the significance of the dent has been seriously played down!. But not too worried about that ill sort it sometime.

Seems only basic under damage like said previous but will have a proper look on the weekend.

She did report this debris banging around the motorway to some Police when she parked up, there was supposed of been a crash there earlier but sure that would of been cleaned up. Mind you with this wind anything is possible!

Can have a laugh about it now, goes to show how mental the motorway can be.

QUOTE"two spaces used "

Ok what the new strategy for car parks then, maybe some cones in the boot and get them out and put them around the car!

QUOTE(choccymonster @ 24 Nov 2009, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Quite possibly!!

Wasn't having a pop matey - I know a lot of people that use two spaces for their cars in car parks, and there is no way in the world I am getting dragged into another debate about whether it's right or wrong!

No I didnt think you were mate
I havent read those debates either! (Mental note - check out debates
)

Mate Rambo or Panther are never going to be safe in a stupid car park!

QUOTEI do hope your wife and kiddy aren't too shaken up, and really hope that your door is fixed with the minimum of fuss!!

Thanks for all the good wishes here

QUOTESurely there is a possibility that this "debris" may have caused the other marks on the car?

Well she seen it coming straight at her, swerved to lane 2 but other car in it, then swerved back to lane 1 and came at the debris from more of a side angle. This makes it the same side but the damage is under the front of the bumper.
The the paint at the front lip and marking to the grill.

In all the fuss that happened, it scared her and her friend (discovered that her m8 was in car as well now!), and the baby its possible that they didnt see exactly how it hit. They then went to car park, told some police went to have coffee because of shock and noticed damage later on when they inspected car.

Debris then went into a lorry behind who had slowed down (luckily again) as had seen the situation happening. I guess it could of turned into a right accident.

Worst I ever seen Debris wise was a huge lorry wheel cover in Lane 2.

Is there any point in trying to discover if the cameras seen it, would you be able to claim that or something?

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Thanks all for the info

Phoned HA they said there is not a camera at that part of the motorway! So end of that I guess.

I will have to sort it myself, and I guess even if I had found the other vehicles insurance details its probably not worth bothering as I would of then "made a claim in the last 5 years" possibly increasing my insurance.

Not sure how much the cover is yet, hopefully not too pricey. I should hurry up as I could get a stone hitting the radiator and damaging the core of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.