Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I contacted the editor of 'Autocar' who contacted Ford.
Answer was that the auto box had a homologation issue with regard to emissions and that it 'may' be available around the middle of next year. As the ST is the only model to use that 7-speed box I wasn't putting any money on that!
A friend (who was a homologation engineer for Volvo) reckoned this was a valid reason.
According to my dealer (who is a 'mate') there are several model variants which are no longer available due to emissions requirements.

The Leon Cupra that I've ordered is being replaced next year with a lower powered hybrid version...

Never mind - we'll soon be running around in cars powered by AA batteries, with a 0-6- measured in days and a top speed measured in feet per fortnight!!!

Good job I've still got the TVR in the garage (and still (just) young enough to drive it....)
Dunno about that. Apart from one or two smaller electric cars which are still a match for their equivalents, they are blowing ice away! I am no electric fan but performance is not a problem for them. That new Tesla S 4wd is more than a match for C63 and M3/4

The problem they all have now is next years 95grm whole range limit along with strict individual limits. They cannot afford hardly any high emitters. Its become obvious that the years of fiddling and claiming autos (mostly slush boxes) were more economical has been turned in its head with wltp. They are far dirtier and less economical especially in Fords for some reason.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dunno about that. Apart from one or two smaller electric cars which are still a match for their equivalents, they are blowing ice away! I am no electric fan but performance is not a problem for them. That new Tesla S 4wd is more than a match for C63 and M3/4

The problem they all have now is next years 95grm whole range limit along with strict individual limits. They cannot afford hardly any high emitters. Its become obvious that the years of fiddling and claiming autos (mostly slush boxes) were more economical has been turned in its head with wltp. They are far dirtier and less economical especially in Fords for some reason.
I think Ford are behind the curve for Autos. They haven't been investing into development too heavily as its typically been premium but now surprise! Its mainstream...

·
Registered
2021 Mercedes AMG CLA 35 Premium
2,034 Posts
The Seat Leon Cupra I've ordered is now no longer available as it's being replaced by a hybrid...... Fortunaly I got my order in on time!!
Don't fancy lugging a 1/4 ton battery around all the time
It surely must be more economical though.....otherwise what would be the point?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It surely must be more economical though.....otherwise what would be the point?
Some of these cars at the moment aren't at all. Lugging around two powertrains to only slightly increase economy whose effects probably have been negated to the environment by their production in the first place. Also the increase in price tag on the vehicle hardly makes the fuel saving cost effective..

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Some of these cars at the moment aren't at all. Lugging around two powertrains to only slightly increase economy whose effects probably have been negated to the environment by their production in the first place. Also the increase in price tag on the vehicle hardly makes the fuel saving cost effective..
I take on board all of what you said. :)

The only objection in the post I was responding to was the increased weight, but had it stated increased price then I would not have said anything.

I haven't seen the figures for the new hybrid Cupra, but when an electric motor is added to hot models the result is always increased performance together with equal or better fuel economy.....but as you say also an increase in purchase price.

The new Focus RS will be a hybrid, but will any of us here dismiss it purely on the basis of increased weight?

·
Registered
32 Posts
The Cupra I've ordered runs the 2.0 TSI (same as Golf R) with around 290bhp.

The replacement has a 1.4 TSI which, apparently, puts out 240bhp with the electric motor making up the difference to ???

Electric only range is around 30 miles so for a lot of short journeys it makes some sense but after that capacity is used you're reliant on the 1.4 engine to propel the car as well as recharge the battery. Yes you can recoup some power via regenerative braking but I still think theses are being sold under 'false pretences' when claiming fantastic mpg figures (start with a full battery over a 30 mile test route and end with a depleted battery = not much fuel used!!!)

Think I'll enjoy the Cupra.... while still doing my bit for global warming as I'm keeping my 5 litre V8 TVR Griffith!!!

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Again I'm not up on the specs of the new Cupra.....but I read that it will be a plug in hybrid. Are these able to be recharged by the engine?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any auto owners here? Potentially looking at a Ford Focus ST X when they finally arrive in Australia and unfortunately it will have to be an auto as we only need the one car and the wife is not keen on a manual.

Just interested does it still equate to a fun car to drive, just a bit nervous as coming from a DCT albeit a dry clutch one but worried it might be 'slushy' compared to say a ZF which can be pretty aggressive and enjoyable in sport modes.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts