Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive got an 06 plate ST-2 with 53k miles. Its developed a squeek noise which lasts for a second or two but only on cold start up?! Doesn't struggle to start at all and noise is present with the dipstick removed. It drives well and has no fault messages, starts up normally with no noise after afew miles when engine is warm.
Any help would be great, as im abit stumpped, as the noise only lasting a couple of seconds when you start up in the morning or if you have left the car for afew hours.

Cheers in advance

Matt

·
Registered
230 Posts
QUOTE(NorthEastFocus @ 19 Dec 2009, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That what i thought it might have been but ive had both the alternator and A/C belts changed when it got serviced two weeks ago which made no difference

Lucky the belts were not too expensive though.

Any one else had similar noise to this, faulty starter motor or alternator maybe?

Yes mate, mine does it only since the cold spell, as a Vehicle tech myself, I beleive its the starter, as the oil pressure is so high on cold start, as Oil is so thick, it put's a lot of extra loading on the windings on start up, hence on initial crank you here it, also the solinoid grease is very sticky when cold so allows the energised bendix to hang for a second, nothing really terrible to worry about.....unless it gets a lot lot worse, then this means your starter windings are burning out....

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE(Craigbloke @ 19 Dec 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes mate, mine does it only since the cold spell, as a Vehicle tech myself, I beleive its the starter, as the oil pressure is so high on cold start, as Oil is so thick, it put's a lot of extra loading on the windings on start up, hence on initial crank you here it, also the solinoid grease is very sticky when cold so allows the energised bendix to hang for a second, nothing really terrible to worry about.....unless it gets a lot lot worse, then this means your starter windings are burning out....

Thanks alot mate that has put my mind a rest. What you said adds up, spot on! cheers for the help!

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE(NorthEastFocus @ 18 Jan 2010, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just abit of a update. I removed the starter motor and gave it a clean up and put alittle bit of copper grease on the shaft. Jobs a gud'un all sorted no more squeak on cold start up

hey, mine does that, annoying squeak noise when cold, how easy was to take alternator off the car ?!?

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE(Craigbloke @ 19 Dec 2009, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes mate, mine does it only since the cold spell, as a Vehicle tech myself, I beleive its the starter, as the oil pressure is so high on cold start, as Oil is so thick, it put's a lot of extra loading on the windings on start up, hence on initial crank you here it, also the solinoid grease is very sticky when cold so allows the energised bendix to hang for a second, nothing really terrible to worry about.....unless it gets a lot lot worse, then this means your starter windings are burning out....

Hey Craigbloke, just wanting to pick your brains, just wondering if you know why this happens, as when it's been cold before the noise never happens or is it just the fact it's really really cold.

·
Registered
230 Posts
QUOTE(sentinal8473 @ 26 Jan 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hey Craigbloke, just wanting to pick your brains, just wondering if you know why this happens, as when it's been cold before the noise never happens or is it just the fact it's really really cold.

No Probs mate,
All it is that during the life cycle of the starter the packing grease gets thinner and dirtier, specially when the starter gets really hot during the summer months, i,e, been giving it beans, then stop in traffic, the heat soak is incredible, so this thins out the grease, this gets more and more dirtier and thinner, then when you get a really cold spell, the extra loading needed on the starter due to having really thick oil, is its not fully lubed on the bendix, thats the sqeak you hear on start up, is its not dis-engaging quick enough, and just catching the tips of the starter gear on flywheel.
Hope that makes sense.
Cheers dude.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello again,

So still got this issue, but I think i have found out what it is, but needs some conformation.

Got the wife to start the car today while I had my head under the bonnet, while facing the front of the car the screach comes from the right hand side of the engine bay. Am i right in thinking that the starter motor is on that side ??? As I think the alternator is on the left and I can just about see the back of it.

Cheers

Rich

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hello again,

So still got this issue, but I think i have found out what it is, but needs some conformation.

Got the wife to start the car today while I had my head under the bonnet, while facing the front of the car the screach comes from the right hand side of the engine bay. Am i right in thinking that the starter motor is on that side ??? As I think the alternator is on the left and I can just about see the back of it.

Cheers

Rich
Yes mate your correct, the Starter is on the Passenger side rear of Engine( RH Side standing at front ) . Its quite a common issue, Mines been doing since the cold spell started in October 09, still doing it now. Time to remove, strip, and re-grease.
Hope it helps,
Craig..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes mate your correct, the Starter is on the Passenger side rear of Engine( RH Side standing at front ) . Its quite a common issue, Mines been doing since the cold spell started in October 09, still doing it now. Time to remove, strip, and re-grease.
Hope it helps,
Craig..
Nice one, cheers for that, going to research on taking it out and do it next weekend...it's a pitty their is no haynes manual for the ST

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.