Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Just wondering (when its a bit sunnier) whether to remove my intercooler (airtec gen3) and spray a red or blue or white ST detail onto it.

What I need to know is, can this be done without damage to the cooler?

Where can I get a template from, obviously I'll need one making?

Maybe even just using a vinyl sticker from DMB? Would this work?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I've thought about a red "Airtec" sprayed onto it. Must be ok as other intercoolers have paint on them

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats exactly what I thought, the pro alloy "PRO" springs to mind. I want a Red/Blue or White ST and remove the front grill badge.

What if it
s up though?? Lashings of white spirits to disolve the paint and scrub it off?? Could be very tricky.

Any thoughts on a template?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
If you messed it up it would be hell I reckon. I'd measure up the size you want and get a graphics company to make a template large enough to stop overspray and where the letters just pop out.

This would leave you a nice template to spray. I'd take the intercooler out and lie it flat to be honest though

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I'm positive that I've seen pictures on this site where someone had put
onto their intercooler. I can't remember who it was or how they did it, but sure that it can be done.

I'll try to search it out, but it was a long time ago

·
Registered
327 Posts
My miss bought me a Proseries Airtec 3 intercooler for christmas , coundnt belive it. She bought me the
powered coated black one, but wanted the polished one. So i couldnt wait to fit it so didnt bother about
exchanging it thought black will do. Put it on and it just looked like a big black hole behind the bottom
grill. So i decided to get some high temp spray paint masked it up sprayed it left it to dry then laqucered
it. Not had a problem and the paint protects the intercooler from stones and rust, Do it mate

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
I dont kow what your craft skills are like but it wouldn't be hard to make a cardboard stencil and I think you need to use a etch primer first to make the paint bond to the aluminium unless you use a high temp enamel which if you do ****up will be a mare to clean off.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I was just thinking about enamel paint, thought about using a large home-made template possibly downloaded
image and print on works A3 printer stick it to a large piece of card and then using a craft knife cut it out. Thinking of using a super fine brush TBH & only paint the "ridges" of the cooler so it would be
made up of horizontal lines.

Really not sure what it would look like though

Would definately take it off and lay it flat, I wouldnt dare do it any other way, its going to be tricky as it is!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is great idea! Thanks. I'll practice on the back of it should i ever need to put it back in

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do, I'll be attempting this when its a bit sunnier, its got to be an outside job. No doubt a post will follow when its done

·
Registered
477 Posts
I was just thinking about enamel paint, thought about using a large home-made template possibly downloaded
image and print on works A3 printer stick it to a large piece of card and then using a craft knife cut it out. Thinking of using a super fine brush TBH & only paint the "ridges" of the cooler so it would be
made up of horizontal lines.

Really not sure what it would look like though

Would definately take it off and lay it flat, I wouldnt dare do it any other way, its going to be tricky as it is!
Dave

You've been watching Blue Peter haven't you hey, go on admit it, someone get him a badge

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
I'm positive that I've seen pictures on this site where someone had put
onto their intercooler. I can't remember who it was or how they did it, but sure that it can be done.

I'll try to search it out, but it was a long time ago
Your right Donna , there was someone that did it
, but for the life of me i cant remember who it was . But as you say it was some time ago . Red lettering on a black intercooler if i am right ..

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave

You've been watching Blue Peter haven't you hey, go on admit it, someone get him a badge
Mike - I will provided the "test" goes ok.

STEO - We all have to get our inspiration from somewhere!
I got the idea from the PRO on the pro alloy cooler, and it'll allow me to remove the front grill ST badge that everyone seems to have!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts