Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently run a 100cell sports cat on my mongoose turbo back system. i get a few pops and bangs etc..
I have heard that the pops and bangs can sometimes be harmfull to the actual cat itself??

anyway, i was considering getting a decat and was wondering...

1. In comparison to the sports cat how much louder will it make my exhaust regarding pops and bangs and will it flame??

2. How much performance difference there is between the sports cat and decat??

Thanks in advance

Rob

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
1. the decat is a lot louder, you will get more pops, bangs the occasional flame spit, pretty much every upshift will have a loud crack behind it and everydown shift will be full of glorious gargle! (when your revving it of course)

2. I had a decat, now have a sports cat, i honestly can't tell any performance difference, its just alot quieter now.

·
Registered
86 Posts
bit of input- im in the same predicament- only thing swaying me the sports cat route is the fact that a decat is taking the risk of rendering insurance void- which is a worry to say the least. I know I have read about people having insurance disputes following crashes and it looking likely that the insurance wont pay a penny!!

Will a 100 cell cat not be audibly louder than the normal 600 cell cat? And wont it make a little bit of performance difference even if you dont have the downpipe???

cheers

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Sports cat will gain over the standard cat because of the lower cell count of the internals, but also the majority out there (apart from Janspeed perhaps) have 3" bore pipework whereas the standard one is 2.5" if my memory serves me correct.

Not sure how much yours would differ if your downpipe is standard but I found that adding a Magnex cat-back to my car when it was already running Magnex downpipe and decat caused horrendous booming right at motorway cruising speed
but it's loads better now with a sports cat.

You'd need a 3" gasket to match the sports cat or decat to your cat-back but if you're running standard downpipe you can run either the standard gasket or a 3" one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 24 Jan 2010, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sports cat will gain over the standard cat because of the lower cell count of the internals, but also the majority out there (apart from Janspeed perhaps) have 3" bore pipework whereas the standard one is 2.5" if my memory serves me correct.

Not sure how much yours would differ if your downpipe is standard but I found that adding a Magnex cat-back to my car when it was already running Magnex downpipe and decat caused horrendous booming right at motorway cruising speed
but it's loads better now with a sports cat.

You'd need a 3" gasket to match the sports cat or decat to your cat-back but if you're running standard downpipe you can run either the standard gasket or a 3" one.
Yes troy your right about the boom it drove me round the bend don't do it stick with a sports cat. OH not to mention the exhaust fumes where over powering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.