Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok a weird thing with my ST today.

The car feels very jelly like today in the bends. And when I brake a little it sort of lunges forward on the suspension. very odd!

I've rocked the car on above each wheel, seems ok! Although I think I can push the front down a bit too easy! Although I have been doing weight training for the last 3 months, so it could be that lol

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
824 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 1 Feb 2010, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok a weird thing with my ST today.

The car feels very jelly like today in the bends. And when I brake a little it sort of lunges forward on the suspension. very odd!

I've rocked the car on above each wheel, seems ok! Although I think I can push the front down a bit too easy! Although I have been doing weight training for the last 3 months, so it could be that lol

Anyone have any ideas?

See your GP he may diagnose worn shockers. Don't know if they can be done on the NHS though. If your shockers are fine then a course of Eibach's usually remedy those symptoms, take one every 30 minutes (max of 4 in a 24hr period) Oh and finish the course lol

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol

How much are worn shocks to replace? Odd that it's happened over the weekend, I didnt drive the car since Friday.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked the pressures on the way home, they seemed fine. The rears was a bit low at 29ish, I pumped them up to 33 and it did seem better.

Can I take the ST to like ATS for an alignment? I know when I had my VXR they couldn't do it!

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
would'nt be sure mate. most good tyre fitters now should do laser alignment though. one for google me thinks.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 2 Feb 2010, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Still the same today. Beginning to think it's the tyres. Got these up front http://www.eptyres.com/detil_products.php?...ccelera40Series

And I think theyre causing the problems.

I cant think how anything mechanical could go wrong while the car was sat on the drive all weekend!

i had a set of these in 20" flavour, on my bmw 330d mate and they were very entertaining to say the least.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Their really weird tyres, you get a sweet spot for a few thousand miles and then they just go all funny. Their much better on the ST than my VXR though, the VXR was dangerous with them on! Got the ST and VXR from the same dealer, seems their getting these tyres really cheap.

I've got nearly 1mm before the wear marks on the rear contis. And got about 5mm on the the above tyres up front. So I'm going to change to the Verds or Falkens all round soon. So. I hope it improves.

Any tests or things I can look out for to find any mechanical problems on the car?

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
switch your wheels around mate & put the conti's on the front, see if it helps. could also be an arb bushing. best get it up on a ramp & get them all checked. did you have real cold weather over the weekend? i found with these cheap tyres the rubber is very poor quality & does'nt like frost!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It froze saturday night, but nothing bad. It's been worse just before xmas.

I might do that swapping them round.

I'll check the arb and stuff.

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Were the tyres cold when you checked the pressures? You really need to leave them an hour after driving! 33 psi in a hot tyre will be about 25 psi when it cools down!

·
Registered
379 Posts
mine felt horrible with cheap tyres - got bridgestones now they truely do stick to the road, the ESP hardly activates either.

never get much said on the forum about them but i would defo have them again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts