Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just called at my car audio store a little earlier and the guy there noticed the spi on my headlights and said a young lad came into the parking area today in an audi with spi on all the lights and the police followed him and gave him a £60 fine for the front lights...he apparently argued with the copper for bout 20 minutes.......guy from the shop said he was getting ***** with cop so maybe that contributed to it....but sounds a bit harsh seeing as it has loads holes in it and not solid film........anyone had the police say anything about their Spi on their lights??.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Is this like the stupid spray Corsas and Saxos have over their rear lights so you can't see their brake lights?
If so then it was well deserved!

Gav

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
It is not illegal and to get a £60 fine (even if it was actually a spot fine offence, which it shouldn't be because the film does not constitute an MOT fail providing sufficient light passes through it) is ridiculous, i can only assume he has been fined for something else, particularly if it happened in daylight because you can't be pulled over for an offence for lighting in daylight hours unless its the rear lights or lights used for indication where its law to indicate

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
This is where being a nice person goes a long way when talking to a copper
when ever i hav ever been stop a long time ago now i just nod and agree and say very sorry i did not think i was doing wrong and some times u get away with a little !
no point in pushing a copper because ya never gonna win ! or they will hav it in for u to next time !

at the end of the day ! there doing a job in my eyes and if we are doing wrong its our fault and we should be prepaired ! to get done ! hold ya hands up and say sorry !

seat belt is 1 of my most things i been stopped for !

·
Registered
Mk2 RS 400
4,188 Posts
I thought the mot had changed an fitting anything on the front or rear lights that changes their colour or reduces the the amount of light they omit was a failure. This would include fly eye tints on front lights.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
...particularly if it happened in daylight because you can't be pulled over for an offence for lighting in daylight hours unless its the rear lights or lights used for indication where its law to indicate
Technically you can - the law says that all your lights should work correctly, whether you're using them or not.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Technically you can - the law says that all your lights should work correctly, whether you're using them or not.
But that is also left to their discretion because there is actually no law that states the vehicle has to have lights for daytime use, this is why you can ask for a daytime MOT

There is absolutely no reference in the manual to dictate whether or not its a fail, unless of course it wasn't Spi Vision and it was that dark there was no way even Gollum could have found his way home behind the wheel of it in the dark

a. inoperative, excessively damaged or deteriorated or has a product on the lens or light source so that the light output is well below that required to illuminate the road ahead
The key to that is "well below" and that has to be measured

http://www.ukmot.com..._Section=lights

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
But that is also left to their discretion because there is actually no law that states the vehicle has to have lights for daytime use, this is why you can ask for a daytime MOT
I don't disagree, and you're hardly likely to get a tug for a non-working light in the daytime, I was just saying that it could happen. I was under the impression that a daytime MoT only applied if you don't have front and rear lights fitted, or if they're covered over?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i think the lad started being a bit ***** with the copper....so that probably didnt help

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i think the lad started being a bit ***** with the copper....so that probably didnt help
As LiquidFox mentioned, there is a lot to be said for polite behaviour when dealing with the Police, they shouldn't be all tarred with the same brush and most do respond to someone actually being apologetic, i imagine in their game it can be quite refreshing considering what some of them have to put up with.

To me there is nothing worse than giving the Police a hard time or Police bashing anyway, if i do the crime i do the time, its a pity that so many believe that they can do the crime and have a right to moan about the time

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
WTF...why do you not wear a seat belt?
just a very bad habit! its from working in garages all my life i put it down to jump in and out car every 10 mins ! and i never had to wear one in my other job driving buses ! and doing contracts. funn law in stopping and starting doing the scholol run! i know i am doing some times tho!. look i am holding my hands up to it not showing off!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts