Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in my friends M3 this morning and we were driving round the fish hill area just by Oxfordshire. We were just coiming to the bottom of the hill and noticed a line on the road and then about a quarter mile later another line on the road. It seems to me these must be for mobile speed cameras?

The thing is he may have been a little over the limit as the sun qas blazing it was hard to see the speedo. There was no visible cameras there, no mobile unit or no signs. Is there a change a policeman could be hiding and he get caught?

We are a little worried about this so could do with some advice! Are police aloud to hide and catch people these days?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were they two strips close together each time? If so, it's for a speed survey. Nothing to worry about.

Mobile speed cameras don't need any lines, their laser equipment is enough to get you.
there was one horizontal white line and then about a quarter mile later another horizontal white line. I didnt see any visible cameras

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
there was one horizontal white line and then about a quarter mile later another horizontal white line. I didnt see any visible cameras
Hmm, not sure then. Are they permanently painted on using the same stuff they mark the lanes with etc? Not even sure what the point in them is as they can't be used for speed. You'd need big SPECS cameras for them to work out average speed, mobile vans that don't have a laser detector use induction loops, but they're not white stripes.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Were there any bridges over this piece of road? Could have been VASCAR markings, where the police sit in their traffic car on a bridge and measure the time it takes you to travel between the lines - they know what the distance between them is and so can work out your speed. Normally these are square or round spots though, and there would be another traffic unit somewhere after the second mark who would stop you.

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
You should be ok. If there was a hidden ninja stylee officer with a speed gun, there would have been another unit further along the road to pull you over.

The thing is he may have been a little over the limit as the sun qas blazing it was hard to see the speedo.
That has got to be the worst excuse I've ever heard
and I've heard a few, trust me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Were there any bridges over this piece of road? Could have been VASCAR markings, where the police sit in their traffic car on a bridge and measure the time it takes you to travel between the lines - they know what the distance between them is and so can work out your speed. Normally these are square or round spots though, and there would be another traffic unit somewhere after the second mark who would stop you.
It seems to me like this must be what they are for. They are permanently marked on the road.

There were no bridges near the stretch of road at all in fact it was very open.

What are the chances of a letter through the post?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After doing some digging around it seems like the lines are for VASCAR but still unsure as whether my friend may receive a letter

·
Registered
520 Posts
if there for vas and you didnt get stopped dont worry
if you didnt see a van or a plod dont worry
but if he couldnt see the speedo how come he could see the lines ?
one way to be safe dont speed then no need to worry
simple.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
simple.
well i saw the lines on the road from the passenger seat.

I am just a little concerned they could of been at the top of the hill (police) and the dreaded letter will come through the post.

In the UK would they have to stop you at the time of the incident?

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
well i saw the lines on the road from the passenger seat.

I am just a little concerned they could of been at the top of the hill (police) and the dreaded letter will come through the post.

In the UK would they have to stop you at the time of the incident?
Yep, unless they've got photo evidence of you speeding. Don't quote me on that though

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
simple.
VASCAR used to only be operated from a traffic car, but it can now just be a box on a post that records your speed, takes your number and generates a letter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VASCAR used to only be operated from a traffic car, but it can now just be a box on a post that records your speed, takes your number and generates a letter.
and it can be hidden, where as a speed camera is not?

Also how common would that actually be?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,348 Posts
Speed cameras can actually be hidden, there's no law that says they can't as far as I know it's just government guidelines - however councils that don't conform to the guidelines could lose the part of the revenue that they get to keep. Camera vans and officers holding hand-held devices again aren't legally obliged to be visible to you, but under ACPO guidelines they are so they risked getting reported if they hide in the bushes.

At the end of the day we could sit here and speculate until the cows come home, the only way your friend is going to know for sure is to wait two weeks and see if they get a letter. The only sure way to avoid getting a ticket is not to speed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts