Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed their speakers front and/or rear? If so what to?

If I change the speakers but keep the Sony HU will I get much sound improvement?

I'm not fussed for amps and bass boxes etc just want a better quality sound.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Speak to Curlo mate, send him a PM.
His names Mark and he's from Leeds.
I was looking at his sound install last weekend, he's had all the speakers changed and headunit and a really smart sub fitted under the passenger seat, it's a fantastic install as you don't know any of it is there.

You will definately get an improvement with just speakers as my past experience is that standard Ford speakers are made out of a kind of thick paper for the cones.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have changed all mate, front, components and rear, and head unit.

Also have an amp under the driver seat and a sub under the passenger seat - sounds nuts but I have the volume down so i can hear the engine haha!

I would always start with the head unit, the front speakers, then rear but that's me!

What ya want to know?

·
Registered
59 Posts
If i remember rightly, they are 6.5, but you will need C-max adapters to fit them in the front.

what brand? Erm, well you can't buy mine any more which is a shame because they are awesome I have genesis in the front and some cheaper in the rear.

Depends on budget, get a set of Focal's if you have the cash.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm not looking for big bass just an improved sound quality, I do occasionally play music loud and the standard set up is poo as the speakers distort too easily.

A New head unit is on my list of things to do next year, for the time being i was going to use the 'how to' guide to get the aux cable extended in to the ash tray so i can connect my iphone up which will at least give me short term something different to do with it.

I've heard that the HU is underpowered so changing the speakers only will only make a small difference but just wondered if it was worth doing initially for a small improvement and then change the head unit later on.

It was makes of speakers etc I'm interested in, not sure I'll fit them myself anyway it's not something I've ever done.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
The standard speakers distort due to the bass output as you turn the volume up. If you play some female vocals with no bass, you can go very very loud. Add bass and they distort. The reason is the 6.5" speakers just cannot play mids and bass at the same time at volume and the conses distort and hte whole thing generally goes "flappy".

The most cost effective upgrade is to keep the standard head unit and speakers and add in a small powered sub in the boot or under hte seat, and high pass crossovers in the wiring to your front nad rear speakers.

Something like this takes up no room at all and takes speaker level inputs

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-wx77a.html

That way the sub plays the bass and the mid sized speakers get left to produce hte notes they can cope with.

There is no point putting high quality front component speakers in unless your goign to amp them. I helped my mate put a £400 set of focals in his
and they sounded awful run off the head unit, Audison amp added and they come alive.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
There is no point putting high quality front component speakers in unless your goign to amp them. I helped my mate put a £400 set of focals in his
and they sounded awful run off the head unit, Audison amp added and they come alive.
QFE.

Had a set of speakers put in one of my cars a while back and although they were better than stock, I was still left a bit disappointed. Got a GroundZero amp in further down the line and they completely transformed. Never heard sound like it! ^_^

·
Registered
59 Posts
The standard speakers distort due to the bass output as you turn the volume up. If you play some female vocals with no bass, you can go very very loud. Add bass and they distort. The reason is the 6.5" speakers just cannot play mids and bass at the same time at volume and the conses distort and hte whole thing generally goes "flappy".

The most cost effective upgrade is to keep the standard head unit and speakers and add in a small powered sub in the boot or under hte seat, and high pass crossovers in the wiring to your front nad rear speakers.

Something like this takes up no room at all and takes speaker level inputs

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer-ts-wx77a.html

That way the sub plays the bass and the mid sized speakers get left to produce hte notes they can cope with.

Agree, my amp is stashed under the driver seat. If not replacing head unit definitely invest in an amp!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I have had professional install in mine. I was advised the weak point in the standard set up is the head unit - not the speakers. However if you upgrade the head unit then to take full advantage of that the speakers would be better upgraded too. Speaker wise I have had a 6.5" Diamond Audio Component kit with passive crossovers installed in the front and JL Audio 6x9's in the rear shelf. My head unit is a Pioneer AVH-2400-BT. I have a 10" JL Audio sub woofer in a sealed box in the boot, all running off a JL Audio 600 watt/6 channel amp. Also the car has been kitted out with Dynamat. - Its sounds ok.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Has anyone changed their speakers front and/or rear? If so what to?

If I change the speakers but keep the Sony HU will I get much sound improvement?

I'm not fussed for amps and bass boxes etc just want a better quality sound.
Jim, you have a PM.

If you're after improved sound without breaking the bank or going over the top, then simply upgrade the HU and add an active sub under one of the front seats. The active sub which mbaker linked to above is an alternative to an under-seat sub as it goes in the boot. However, if you want to keep the boot completely free of ICE then the underseat option is the way forward for you.

You can then choose to upgrade the speakers (and add sound proofing/wave diffuser) at a later date if you're so inclined. Adding an amp under the other front seat to drive the speakers would be a further option still.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts