Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noddy question so apologies - I have used search but its been a long day, so excuse me if this is on the forum already.

I need a spare key - now, will Ford need the car in to be able to do this or should I be able to arrange over the phone and if so what codes etc will I need to supply?

Reason for this and second part of question is that I am going to India for 4 weeks with work meaning the ST will be sat in the works carpark (inside and nice and secure
) . However, concerned about battery draining so thinking that I will get a mate (trusted mate that is) to fire her up for 10 mins or so every couple of days just to keep everything moving and charged. Now, will this be enough do you think? Say 30 minutes running each week just idling - hes a good mate but he aint gonna get to drive the ST!! or does it need more?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi mate, a dealer will need the car and all of your keys. The only way to program them to start the car is with the car at the dealer.

Running your car for 10 mins once a week should be enough.

Ps enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I would buy a key off eBay, and get it cut locally - (£5 versus dealer cutting £35) and get the dealer to programme it for you.

I am a salesperson for Ford, and we often have cars on the forecourt for 6-8 weeks, with only the odd one going flat.
I wouldnt worry about leaving the keys, just make sure you have your radio code (just in case it does go flat).

·
Registered
158 Posts
For the key fob and key cutting and car programming would cost about £140 from a Ford dealer (That's what I was quoted)
They took a photocopy of the key blade to get the key cut, then had my car for about 30 minutes to program it to the car.

Luckily I didn't pay for the key as I had a purchase order from another dealer for it
they owed me one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts