Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning i started the car which has had s new head gasket and a service which it passed all withing the last 8 months ... But turned the car on this morning and it sounds like a subaru even when idling also have engine warning light..... while driving it's very lumpy and juddering no white smoke not losing coolent and oil is clean.... Any ideas what or why this is happening.. I have no mechanical knowledge.... So anything any help would be greatful

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,634 Posts
Get the codes read, sounds like a misfire, probably a coil pack gone down.

If you can switch the coil packs to another cylinder and the misfire follows you have your answer, and if one's gone the others will likely follow soon.

Potentially you could unplug each pack whilst running and see if one makes no difference to the running.

Then swap that pack with another cylinder to confirm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply I literally have no idea what any of what you said means as i'lile I said I have zero mechanical knowledge.... I need to know is the car capable of driving..?? I need to get to work and back tonight and tomorrow and then drive 60 miles to see my daughter tomorrow... I only get to see her once a week so I'm desperately asking for advice

·
Premium Member
Alan St500
1,421 Posts
Hey thanks for the reply I literally have no idea what any of what you said means as i'lile I said I have zero mechanical knowledge.... I need to know is the car capable of driving..?? I need to get to work and back tonight and tomorrow and then drive 60 miles to see my daughter tomorrow... I only get to see her once a week so I'm desperately asking for advice
I wouldn’t drive it if it was mine bud 🤔

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,634 Posts
Ideally not, you've got four fifths of your engine producing power with the last 5th of fuel bring dumped straight into your exhaust.

If you said 10 miles home I wouldn't be too worried but I wouldn't go doing a big trip.

We can talk you through what I said but it won't help you without parts for tomorrow

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,837 Posts
A lesson for the future is that it's a good idea to buy a code reader and keep it in the car.
Even if you don't understand the codes, it will help others to help you.
Your reference to the engine sound being similar to a Subara may just indicate that part of the exhaust system is detached!

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
398 Posts
I agree with Alb, mine sounded a lot like yours and found my exhaust was blowing then after fixing that i found my cat was bad which did make it louder and very lumpy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with Alb, mine sounded a lot like yours and found my exhaust was blowing then after fixing that i found my cat was bad which did make it louder and very lumpy.

Thanks for the reply... Can it really be the exhaust that's blown.... It doesn't sound blown when outside and the car is idling... There is an increase in smell of fuel and the car did have a de cat on before its service not 3 months ago which they replaced the de cat is now in the boot... Surely they would have noticed if the exhaust was about to blow no? ...

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
398 Posts
Thanks for the reply... Can it really be the exhaust that's blown.... It doesn't sound blown when outside and the car is idling... There is an increase in smell of fuel and the car did have a de cat on before its service not 3 months ago which they replaced the de cat is now in the boot... Surely they would have noticed if the exhaust was about to blow no? ...
Yes it can, one of your gaskets could be bad or it could be a part of your exhaust that has seen better days, Mine passed its MOT with a nearly collapsed cat with flying colors, week later it collapsed. So no it would not always come up on the MOT.

Jack the front and back up on the passenger side and go from the back to the front of your exhaust and check it over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys so I took the car to the garage this morning and indeed it has a missfire from cylinder 2.. the coil pack has worn or something like that ... I've been quoted £235 for parts and labour .. or to have all 5 done they said £444....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
235 for one coil and labour, that is a bit pricey when rates have them for 54 each. Are you sure its just they coil as the are easy to replace, 1 hour tops.
They may be easy to replace but I have zero mechanical knowledg and none of the tools even if I did..... I wouldn't know where what how or any other thing I'm looking at .. I bought the car blind in April and it's had almost a full engine rebuild it had a new gasket it had new exhaust done the coils now a new turbo caus rthe old one was losing power literally the list is endless .. I would t have bought the thing had I read up on issues with this particular model... Cause they just aren't to be never ending ...

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
398 Posts
They may be easy to replace but I have zero mechanical knowledg and none of the tools even if I did..... I wouldn't know where what how or any other thing I'm looking at .. I bought the car blind in April and it's had almost a full engine rebuild it had a new gasket it had new exhaust done the coils now a new turbo caus rthe old one was losing power literally the list is endless .. I would t have bought the thing had I read up on issues with this particular model... Cause they just aren't to be never ending ...
Its just a easy unbolt and re-bolt thing.

I had the same (minus the engine rebuild, yet) got robbed by a so called friend of my brothers as i needed a car asap, bad choice as the next week the ford garage by me had a mk2 st-3 stage 1 for 500 lower than i paid for this one.

They are money pits but what car isn't these days but i'm sure if you hold'ed out you could of got one that didn't need all that doing.

I'm also sure there is a guide on how to replace the coils but you have said in this reply you already did them? if they are still under warranty then get them replaced, the job should be a 30 minute job for the mechanic but seems to be charging for a 2 hour job.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,837 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts