Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i've had a lot of hesitation on the car today but i parked up and there was a lot of heat from the engine bay (Just normal driving, nothing hard) We left it to cool while in store, roughly 40 minutes and the car fired up fine so i did the 5 mile trip to our next shopping place, still driving normal but still a lot of hesitation and forcing into 4th gear due to the noise. so 10 miles now and car was fine. Parked it up and after doing our thing we got back to the car and heat was felt on the bonnet but she fired up fine but i've got back and got out the car while it was running and it was like i had ragged the car, rattling like a diesel, even son said it sounded bad but i could only diagnose my DMF rattle but it sounded like a engine problem.

I did find that when i was parked up yesterday after shopping my bottom grill had been pulled to the point it was nearly off the bumper (have a neighbor that likes to mess with my car) I just wondering if anyone has had this happen as last night it was fine with no hesitation but come today it was like my engine was dying.

·
Premium Member
Mike Mk2 ST225
2,621 Posts
If it's rattling that bad I would try and find out where that noise is coming from, where abouts on the engine.

But if coolant and oil are fine, and things are hot I would check the coolant temperature when running (if there wasn't a rattle) and try to make sure thermostat isn't seized.

If the coolant system is working as it should I would assume a blockage of the exhaust, maybe collapsed cat or turbo failed/failing as first things to check

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had the turbo spulling up which forced gears early, i have been meaning to cut the other bolts to the cat so i can check it as i'm sure it is a big factor of the boost problem but it passed the emitions with flying colors.

I do think its a junk yard engine but was hoping it would last till we was moved and courts not being paid for a forged engine.

The grill being messed with and my neighbor going mad as we still used the car today is pushing to shes done something but that would surly be a boost leak (as its by the intercooler)

I will check it tomorrow for sure if its not raining.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok checked it today, some how the small pipe that clips on to the boost pipe that goes over your engine, unclipped and tucked itself under the wires, very strange but i also need help on these, a video on how my engine sounds and the markings on my timing cogs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Ok checked it today, some how the small pipe that clips on to the boost pipe that goes over your engine, unclipped and tucked itself under the wires, very strange but i also need help on these, a video on how my engine sounds and the markings on my timing cogs.
It's difficult to comment on engine noises recorded on mobile phones etc because the sound you hear on a video is often very different from hearing the car close up.

Not sure what you're asking about those timing marks - did you paint them yourself? The VVT hubs aren't keyed to the cams so timing marks are pretty meaningless unless you've set it yourself before, or have owned the car from day 1 and know for a fact that the VVT hubs have never been disturbed from their original locations on the cams.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The noise is the same as in the video, the mic picked it up just fine, more of the rattle.

The timing paint marks are like 4 teeth apart but this is what i forgot to add, are they meant to be like it? It was how i had the car and they was lined up but since having the rattle (sorted the pipe out) its not lined up anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
The noise is the same as in the video, the mic picked it up just fine, more of the rattle.

The timing paint marks are like 4 teeth apart but this is what i forgot to add, are they meant to be like it? It was how i had the car and they was lined up but since having the rattle (sorted the pipe out) its not lined up anymore.
If you are sure that they once lined up and now don't, all you can really say is that the timing has jumped. Only the person who painted those marks really knows what they mean. Someone has definitely been messing around with it because I see damage to the T55 torx plugs on the hubs. The engine getting really hot is strongly suggesting the timing is way out.

I'd recommend getting a full compression test done in case there is any valve/piston damage. If this is good then belt needs to come off now, the camshafts locked with the proper tool and then the VTT hub bolts broken loose. Then refit and tension the belt, torque the VVT bolts down to 120 Nm and the timing should be sorted again.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cheers, i think i'll have to get this to a garage then as i don't have the locking tool for this car.

The markings did seem off but i'm hoping the tensioner squeak is not the problem and made the timing jump.

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Cheers, i think i'll have to get this to a garage then as i don't have the locking tool for this car.

The markings did seem off but i'm hoping the tensioner squeak is not the problem and made the timing jump.
If it's running (even badly) then I'm reasonably sure your valves and pistons will be ok because I don't think it would run at all if even just one cylinder was getting no compression. But definitely worth getting the compression tested before doing any work on it so you know where you stand and aren't chucking money at it for no reason.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea its what i told the wife, once the pipe was plugged back in the bang stopped but still top rattle (which ive read is just a sign of a ford) I took it round the block and she was hitting 1/4 and trying to go over but slowly dropping but the hesitation was gone and banging/knocking.

I did tell her if it was really timing it would not start or make one hell of a noise trying to. We are saving for a puma forged one but having problems all the time has eaten into the savings.

·
Premium Member
MK2 facelift st and a retro Chinese 125cc scrambler
1,798 Posts
Timing paint marks on the timing gears of the mk2 mean nothing as there's no Woodruff key and once the bolt is loosened spin freely. It could be from the last belt change or could be from the one previous.

·
Premium Member
2006 ST-2 MK2
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i know for sure its a junk yard engine so it could be the last owner as the belt looks too old to have been replaced a year ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts