Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully some Techno wizard will be able to answer this. I have recently purchased a Sony VAIO Laptop. It's all singing all dancing so to speak. But I have found that it is pretty slow to be honest, which is wasn't what I was expecting, with the spec sheet on it being pretty impressive. I have had ACER laptops in the past, and they run far faster with less RAM etc. I have trawled internet sites to see if there is a solution, and a few people have said that the actual VAIO programs slow the computer down. Is this true, and if so, does anyone know which programs I need to remove? It is really doing my head in, as I didn't expect this at all.

If anyone knows what to do, please help!

Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i had the same problem, 17" machine blue ray, took it to my local pc guy, he installed windows 7. so i had none of the free trial programs etc, speed & reliability are now good.

prior to that was a joke

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
i have a business one which i use for best part of 12 hours a day, its pretty good as far as laptop goes however the biggest problem is all the preinstalled [email protected] they come with which is way the first thing i do is format and reinstall, problem solved. Tip get rid of all those programs that run on boot and in the background found in your system trey (bottom right)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've had my vaio just over a year. It was slow to begin with, as soon as you start to install more stuff it gets slower, it has just got to the point when my Kaspersky Internet updates anything I am running (internet/fm2009 etc) stalls/stops working until it has finished updating. The cooling fan is getting noisier, only 1 of the ram slots is working! I wish I had never bought it, if you can - get your money back imo, i'm not impressed by it at all.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i cant fault mine.(really)
it was slow but as said above i removed all the
off it and just put a nice clean copy of vista on it. its quick and runs sweet.
down sides-
the battery is pants but it is a big 17" bad boy
the paint is rubbing off after only 1 year...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Mine has had 2 new hard drives ! All within 6 months of owning it , Sony send you a nice complementry cleaning cloths At Bout 6x4" whoopedoo

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm, not the answer I was looking for! All Sony VAIO's are naff! I have the latest one with Blu-Ray player and HD screen etc. Its fine when it is up and running, but takes an age to get there, when I can load up my 3 yr old Acer and its online in a minute! Windows 7 is fine, but I think all the VAIO stuff is making it run about as fast as a dwarf in the 100m. Will get rid of it all and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just uninstalled all the VAIO products on the computer, and now it runs fast, as it should of done in the first place. All that VAIO stuff was pointless anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe i should try that - I've got an all singing all dancing Vaio and my Dell XP lappie at works is way faster and is nowhere near the spec of my home one. Very disappointed with Sony. The battery is a joke. It runs down over night by about 25% even with the machine fully turned off. Sony say this is "normal" - normal my ass!!

I'm seriously thinking of buying Apple next time and just paying out for the software again (the only thing that has kept me with Windows)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(rhino_mac @ 22 Jan 2010, 07:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Maybe i should try that - I've got an all singing all dancing Vaio and my Dell XP lappie at works is way faster and is nowhere near the spec of my home one. Very disappointed with Sony. The battery is a joke. It runs down over night by about 25% even with the machine fully turned off. Sony say this is "normal" - normal my ass!!

I'm seriously thinking of buying Apple next time and just paying out for the software again (the only thing that has kept me with Windows)

Worth doing mate - the VAIO stuff is just the same as the Windows based products anyway. It is now running much faster. If you don't use it get rid mate, because it is always running in the background.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts