Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from work tonight i took the same route I always take.about 3 miles after i came off the motorway I put my foot down pulling away from some lights and it took off like never before and it seemed to dump quite loudly which is odd as mine is a standard re-circ.the car is standard right through.so i'm wondering what could cause such a massive difference.The only thing i've done different tonight is put air in my tires.Its baffled the
out of me.Any idea's?

·
Registered
216 Posts
if you have just come off the motorway then the IC would have been getting really cold air forced through it. but because you wasnt on boost on the motorway you haven't realised till you come off. or you had hit a patch of really really really cold air??

how long you had the motor for? this is my first winter in the st. i cant half tell the difference

·
Registered
669 Posts
In a standard ST, the cold temps make a big difference in performance, mainly because the ST has a tiny intercooler and can´t keep up with higher temps. The colder the weather, the faster the ST. But maybe, your boost solenoid is starting to fail, causing that massive difference in boost that you refer. Less progresive boost, more sudden.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you have just come off the motorway then the IC would have been getting really cold air forced through it. but because you wasnt on boost on the motorway you haven't realised till you come off. or you had hit a patch of really really really cold air??

how long you had the motor for? this is my first winter in the st. i cant half tell the difference
I've had mine for 12 months at the end of this month.If the boost solenoid is on its way out i need to get a wriggle on as the warranty runs out on the 29th

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After driving to work this morning I'm starting to think the boost solenoid has died.because when I got on the motorway this morning it wouldn't boost past a quarter on the gauge until you let your foot off then it seems to jump up to half way.hope this is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
After driving to work this morning I'm starting to think the boost solenoid has died.because when I got on the motorway this morning it wouldn't boost past a quarter on the gauge until you let your foot off then it seems to jump up to half way.hope this is covered under warranty.
Sounds like boost solenoid.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully I can get it sorted then.hope my warranty covers it too.it runs out in two weeks so might as well get something out of it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone tell me if I'm ok to drive the car even though the solenoid is up the chute.im not going to do any further damage am I?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks.tried to keep it low on the way home tonight as it was overboosting and was worried about blowing the dam thing to bits.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts