Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry but can't post in the tech section, so if any of this is duplicated again sorry but can't check. My alternator went down last week so add me to the ever-growing queue, I first noticed things weren't right when it was a bit sluggish to turn over, this went on for about a fortnight, (only used car 3 times in this period) then the noise appeared last week, kind of light whine of variable pitch, then when driving the ABS light came on and I feared the worst, turned round and drove home, did the checks and found the alternator had fallen over. Mine's an 06 plate ST3 with 31k on the clock. I don't blame people getting irate about the 'just out of warranty' thing, it does seem to be an example of built-in obselescence

I'm in between jobs at the moment so I'm having to do it at home, from what I've read people might be taking off too many things when doing this job, so for anyone tackling it themselves here's the Ford recommended route (after 'whipping' the airbox off
)-

stalt_1.jpg

st_alt2.jpg

st_alt.3.jpg

st_alt.4.jpg

Scan2.JPG

Belt tensioner on last pic (shown arrowed) appears to be either a 3/8" or 1/2" square, it will be awkward but as yet I'm waiting on the part arriving, so will face that problem only when I have to. It's not necessary to slacken the belt when removing the alternator as it will turn on one of the mounting bolts enough to allow belt removal.
For reference the basic part number is 3m5t-10300-JC it's a Denso 120A, I've plumped for an Ebay special to get me round and will prolly get my old one overhauled for a spare. Will be interesting to find out what they reckon has gone bang.
If mods move this post to the tech section please remember I won't be able to reply, posting is for info/assistance only. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
The tensioner is a torx 50mm bit its just under the pulley just finished doing my own.

Be careful of the pipe of the bottom of the air intake on the inlet manifold i broke the
plastic valve had to order it from volvo in the end am waiting for it to come in from sweden.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts