1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aright guys, not posted for a while,

I left the
in my work car park as per usual to come out and find some
has keyed it. All the way from the drivers door all the way down the front wing. Had a quote for £200 and they can fit me in tomorrow, my question is are there any other solutions like, any stripe kits that would cover that area? Really just trying to avoid the 200 quid bill to be honest.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
In my opinion I would think £200 is very reasonable to repair the scratch...a good paint job and a good paint match is not cheap.

How deep is the scratch? Can it be buffed out or is it beyond that?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
yeh that sounds a great price really. but sometimes you will be surprised how much can be flat/polished out.
dont go the stripe route. just find out who did it and shake there hand in a polite manner

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
as above, £200 is pretty reasonable. how deep is it, can you catch it with your finger nail or if you wet it does it go back to normal color? if the latter then it can be polished out

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
QUOTE(Russeh @ 12 Jan 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>as above, £200 is pretty reasonable. how deep is it, can you catch it with your finger nail or if you wet it does it go back to normal color? if the latter then it can be polished out

I agree the finger nail test is what I would normally do too

Still a total pain that it has happened,hope you get it fixed up ok Markus.

·
Registered
217 Posts
QUOTE(Russeh @ 12 Jan 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>as above, £200 is pretty reasonable. how deep is it, can you catch it with your finger nail or if you wet it does it go back to normal color? if the latter then it can be polished out

It is deep, can catch it with my nail, There's a clear white line down the the side of the car where its gone through the paint. The quote is th repair the door and the front wing.

What about chips away sort of thing, would they be able to sort it any cheaper for me?

·
Registered
6,704 Posts
QUOTE(markus ST2008 @ 12 Jan 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is deep, can catch it with my nail, There's a clear white line down the the side of the car where its gone through the paint. The quote is th repair the door and the front wing.

What about chips away sort of thing, would they be able to sort it any cheaper for me?

I've not used them myself but i believe so (plenty on here have). if its really deep though i reckon you're better off taking it to the bodyshop.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
QUOTE(markus ST2008 @ 12 Jan 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is deep, can catch it with my nail, There's a clear white line down the the side of the car where its gone through the paint. The quote is th repair the door and the front wing.

If it is that deep £200 is a cheap quote to fix it,the going rate now for a quality paint job is roughly £250 a panel...sounds expensive but with bodyshops you get what you pay for in my opinion

Shop around but £200 sounds cheap to me mate...I doubt anyone will better that quote.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Have to say - £200 for a respray of two panels and blending etc, sounds v cheap.
If they are a reputable bodyshop I would get it booked in sooner rather than later. If it is that deep, you don't want all the grit & salt getting under the paint etc!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iv booked it in for the end of the month. when iv been payed
. Iv seen a lot of there work and it is very good.

Is there any way to cover the scratch so it doesn't do any more damge to the paint eg grit salt. I was thinking maybe Vaseline or is that just stupid?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
It is frustrating why people do this, i can truly sympathise with you as i woke to this back in 2008.

Take the £200 paint job mate i doubt you will get a better price.

100_1566_edited.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(bonzey @ 12 Jan 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is frustrating why people do this, i can truly sympathise with you as i woke to this back in 2008.

View attachment 36284

They don't have any respect for themselves, let alone anyone else's hard earned property

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
QUOTE(markus ST2008 @ 12 Jan 2010, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What about chips away sort of thing, would they be able to sort it any cheaper for me?

yeh they can mate but to be honest we would still charge close to that.
thats why i say thats a good price from the bodyshop.just make sure you check the job properly when you pick it up.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
QUOTE(bonzey @ 12 Jan 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is frustrating why people do this, i can truly sympathise with you as i woke to this back in 2008.

View attachment 36284

That's disgusting
I can't believe the amount of times I've read people's ST's getting keyed on this forum! I'm dreading my turn...

Anyway all the best with your car markus, hope it comes back as new and that it never happens again!

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Allways best to get at least three quotes and always try and use a recomended bodyshop. Hope you get it sorted out!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts