Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I received a voucher for my 21st last year for this Silverstone Experience (http://www.silverstone.co.uk/experiences/driving-days/aston-martin-experiences1/): 9 laps round silverstone in an Aston Martin Vantage.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this one or one of the other ones so I can get your feedback? Do's and dont's etc...

I saw there is an onboard video recording that you can purchase as well - I think that is a must lol.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Hey guys,

I received a voucher for my 21st last year for this Silverstone Experience (http://www.silversto...n-experiences1/): 9 laps round silverstone in an Aston Martin Vantage.

Just wondering if anyone else has done this one or one of the other ones so I can get your feedback? Do's and dont's etc...

I saw there is an onboard video recording that you can purchase as well - I think that is a must lol.

Cheers
i did one, the instructor limited really what i could and couldnt do, ie accelerating round corners etc., to be fair the conditions were aweful and and one point he kept saying your going to spin out now slow down, i didnt slow and i didnt spin or anything. I enjoyed it though, however after going to "the racing school" at Rockingham, they are more like fast fast faster and dont let that slower car pass you!!!!

either way its all fun so enjoy it

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did one, the instructor limited really what i could and couldnt do, ie accelerating round corners etc., to be fair the conditions were aweful and and one point he kept saying your going to spin out now slow down, i didnt slow and i didnt spin or anything. I enjoyed it though, however after going to "the racing school" at Rockingham, they are more like fast fast faster and dont let that slower car pass you!!!!

either way its all fun so enjoy it
Glad to hear you had fun Marc!

I have been putting it off because I live in Glasgow so I will have to commute down! I thought the later I leave it into the year, hopefully the better weather conditions! Now they have said that my vouchers about to expire and I have to go March 26th!

I've also been considering getting a GroPro ! Now I am wondering to get it for going down and asking them very politely if I can stick it over the wheel arch lol

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Glad to hear you had fun Marc!

I have been putting it off because I live in Glasgow so I will have to commute down! I thought the later I leave it into the year, hopefully the better weather conditions! Now they have said that my vouchers about to expire and I have to go March 26th!

I've also been considering getting a GroPro ! Now I am wondering to get it for going down and asking them very politely if I can stick it over the wheel arch lol
dont think they would let you for insurance reasons, but no harm in asking.

You might want to have a look at purchasing more laps, as when i went, only 2 or 3 laps were what you got, and you spent half the day waiting, taking turns etc, unless they have changed that now as its a few years since i was last there, and you'll be travelling a long way for that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont think they would let you for insurance reasons, but no harm in asking.

You might want to have a look at purchasing more laps, as when i went, only 2 or 3 laps were what you got, and you spent half the day waiting, taking turns etc,
My very kind Uncle bought me the 9 laps option

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
My girlfriend will be coming with me - I offered to buy her a magazine but I think I will give her the camcorder instead now
if its still the same as when i went take wet weather gear or at least something waterproof to sit on, or she'll be standing all the time your waiting for other etc

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I done 4 laps in the vantage about 2 months ago. It was awesome. They obviously tell you how to drive on race track but the guy was encouraging me to go faster and right to the redline. He said dont worry if you spin, its all good fun. Lol I've done a few track days in the past in Ferrari's and scooby's but none let you really thrash the car. Only thing which I was a bit disappointed about was my focus actually felt quicker. It's obviously not but when I exited the pits in 3rd and stomped on the accelerater it just didnt push you back in the seat. Must be to do with power delivery and such a heavy car lol

All in all I would definately do it again. Yes you can pay, I think, 25 for the helmet cam and a photographer also takes pics which you can buy. The car sounded so good. The best bit was I was the last out for the whole day so no one on the track and they let my gf stand right against the fence of home straight and she got some good vids lol

Anyway enjoy mate

·
Registered
7 Posts
i went round for 3 laps in a lamborghini gallardo early last year.
i'd never been on a track before and the fastest car I'd ever driven up until then was my BMW 318 ti compact!
to say i was a little nervous was an understatement!

my GF stumped up for the in-car video recording, which when played back has a main screen recording the drivers view and a small windowed screen recording the drivers face.
we also paid for some "in action" photos and had 1 photo printed, glossy A4 size.

these were extras and fairly expensive for what they really are but imo are worth the money (although I felt a little mugged at the time!).

there is an insurance thing you can buy which reduces the excess by a fair whack too.

so....lots of extras, which depending on which way you look at it is either fair enough or a bit of a rip.

the actual driving though was really, really good fun!
3 laps went very, very quickly.
the instructor was telling me to go faster but I was very restraint.
I found during lap 1 I was more concerned about where track was going - it's really not obvious. also figuring out what the car does in terms of acceleration, braking and steering etc.
lap 2 i started noticing the cones (turn-in, apex and exit) and started hitting them a bit better.
lap 3 and on a roll and then it was over.

very jealous that you're getting 9 laps. that will be amazing!

in terms of turning up, parking, spectators....
so go the main entrance and then follow signs for Silverstone experience center.
there's lots of parking outside that building.
you then go and sign-in and you're given a briefing time (which was 30(?) mins before track time but turn up way before your track time, to get signed-in and purchase your video/photo extras etc).
have your briefing (track DOs and DONTs, the cones, how to hold steering wheel etc!).
when track time, follow your guide to the main car area, which has a spectator building.
get helmet and wait for a bit.
go drive!

enjoy your day

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Very helpful Charlie! Thank you.

the recording will be purchased, no debating, I probs will never get to again. I just hope I only have to pay it once because the 9 laps is split into 3 on the short circuit and 6 on the full circuit.

What was the in action photo like?

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Charlie and it is expensive once you buy everything as I got a big Photo printed, all the pics put on a disc and the video which cost a fortune considering I got the experience free for my birthday but is something I wont get chance to do often, so what the hell

I done the single seater and tbh I was a bit reluctant (scared) to use full throttle, but still managed 120mph on the small test track looking back at the video as you get all the info on screen for Acceleration/Braking, G force etc.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,228 Posts
I've done the single seater experience. 20 mins behind a pace car and then 20 mins on your own (with up to 10 other cars) as fast as you like. Quite a good crack, but it was wet when I went and they said that if you spin, you are out! This ensured that we all tip-toed around the corners and were braking miles too early. I had a massive lock upand almost ran into the car in front as the brakes had no feel at all - like pressing on a brick. Probably never got warmed up. I kept getting held up by slower drivers so never did manage to improve my times to where I thought I could get, but ended up 4th fastest out of 10.

After a few days I had severe pain in my left achillies. Put this down to the clutch beng rock hard and pivoted at the bottom so the clutch was controlled by the ankle only. The racing clutch was either in ot out, but I only stalled it once!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts