Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been/nearly been sideswiped by a HGV. I always make sure I am never alongside hgv's where possible and get past them as quickly as I can. Have a look at this vid; it really surprised me where the blind spot is. Always imagined it was somewhere about the rear of the cab when in fact it's alongside and and slightly forward.

Mike

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
Scary stuff in that CCTV! It's all very well handing out these lenses to lorry drivers, and I commend it, but how many will simply just sling it on to the seat? I think there needs to be a more permanent, law enforced solution.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
there are a few blind spots on an truck.you would need twice as many mirrors on the cab than you get to see them all and would be to much of a distraction,having been a lorry driver and still driving buses half the time accidents are not caused by the trucker but of the car driver not paying attention or dont realise how much room a truck or big vehicle needs when turning.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
there are a few blind spots on an truck.you would need twice as many mirrors on the cab than you get to see them all and would be to much of a distraction,having been a lorry driver and still driving buses half the time accidents are not caused by the trucker but of the car driver not paying attention or dont realise how much room a truck or big vehicle needs when turning.
Whilst I agree that some accidents are caused by motorists not thinking, there's not currently a cure for lack of common sense
I also admit that having several more mirrors on large vehicles will cause more of a hindrance than a help. But there must be a solution for this, just needs some thought. Whoever comes up with it will make a mint.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Whilst I agree that some accidents are caused by motorists not thinking, there's not currently a cure for lack of common sense
I also admit that having several more mirrors on large vehicles will cause more of a hindrance than a help. But there must be a solution for this, just needs some thought. Whoever comes up with it will make a mint.
i agree some thing has to be done to help truckers and bus drivers but what vosa dont tell you in that clip is that on a sunny day them stick on things shine so bright they dazzle the driver and you cant see nothing in it.i had some on the scania i was driving
they do work but only some times i had to take them of in the end mate to much agro with them on

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
i agree some thing has to be done to help truckers and bus drivers but what vosa dont tell you in that clip is that on a sunny day them stick on things shine so bright they dazzle the driver and you cant see nothing in it.i had some on the scania i was driving
they do work but only some times i had to take them of in the end mate to much agro with them on
Yes, I can see how that would happen - it's a bit like sticking a magnifying glass on your window.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anybody know if any trucks are fitted with the 'Bliss' system that a lot of car makers are now fitting which flash a warning symbol in the mirror if anything is in the blind-spot?

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
Not sure if BLIS would be a help or a hindrance. Firstly it comes on when it detects random things in the central reservation or at the side of the road and secondly you still can't actually see what's in your blind spot. Would be a start though I suppose.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
it might be fitted to the new 1s but it wasnt fitted to the 53 plate scania topliner i had that was 9 months old when i drove.i will txt my mate as hes got a brand new merc at work and ask him

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
nope it hasnt got it if merc dont fit it then no 1 will.

i agree with swifty it would not realy work to be honest i think it would go of to often and get a bit anoying then you would get drivers not checking the mirrors so often

·
Registered
52 Posts
got six mirrors on the truck i drive and there are still many blind spots.even the mirrors create them, its possible to loose a car behind the mirrors coming from either direction as you approach a junction.got to have your wits about you at all times

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not ever having sat in a hgv (although it's something I've always wanted to do, not to drive it but just to get a idea of the view from the drivers perspective). I think thats the real problem that drivers of smaller vehicles don't really appreciate what a hgv driver has to contend with.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i always wanted to be a truck driver ever since i was a kid my uncle took me out in his truck a couple of times and loved it.
i stopped driving trucks and went back to driving buses when me and the misses moved in together i had enough sleeping in the truck 5 nights a week and she was home alone.its not the easiest thing to drive but its suprising how quickly you get use to it just got to remember the swing and length.you would think you could see lots being up there so hi but you see very little realy.you get a better
view from a car

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
No disrespect to lorry drivers but if the mirrors/vision is so bad from a lorry how the
do they manage to park/reverse into spaces that are about 3mm bigger than the lorry? Half the lorry drivers i see weaving all over the road are too busy texting or
about on their I Pads to actually bother using their mirrors! I had one sat a foot off the ass of my van the other day flashing his lights because i had the audacity to obey the 50 mph speed limit in the M25 roadworks! I wouldnt have minded but i was in the inside lane of 3 lanes and the other 2 lanes were empty ffs!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
That's a good video, I roughly knew where their blind spot was but that lens thing is a really good idea. I do what most people do, pass them quickly, give them a wide birth and no matter if their in the wrong I let them get on with it and stay clear as I don't argue with a hgv lol

·
Registered
264 Posts
A few good tips. When approaching the rear look up into the hgv drivers mirror, you may see them checking if anything is about to pass them. Look at the reg. plates if they are foreign be extra careful more than likely l/h drive. As previously when looking at the drivers mirror if you can't see the driver it maybe l/h drive even if it is UK registered. A lot of UK trucks are l/h drive if the company does a lot of continental work. If there is a car already passing the truck hang back while they have cleared then you can accelerate past and have an escape route if the worst happens. Always try and avoid being alongside for any length of time. Watch out for trucks that sway onto the hard shoulder or in their lane and give them a wide berth. Try not to be three abreast on M/Way (meat in the sandwich)
When gaining on a truck on a bend the blindspot on the hgv's mirrors will be worse as the cab will be at a angle so they will not see you. I think this probably why PC Pat in the vid. got squashed. (If you can't see my mirrors I cannot see you)

Probably some more but I can't think of any at the moment. Anyone else got any.

Mike

1 - 20 of 22 Posts