Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Really getting fed up with this car now. Trying to sell it but getting silly offers of px. Yes it needs some work done but only about 500 quid and im still not even fetching over 5500 for it. Would love to know what profit margins dealers have because at the end of the day its a joke. Mechanically it's sound apart from a spring and service both of which are being fixed on Saturday, the rest is cosmetic. Its an 07 with 58000. Im not trying to over price the car but have seen a diesel im after which is 6200 but cant get anywhere near that price. Looks like il have to stick it on autotrader etc see if I can get a private buyer. Grr. I like the car but i do need to sell it but im not giving it away .

·
Registered
480 Posts
mate, if you are serious about selling you need to consider getting the work done.

The amount of car's I've walked away from as I've been walking around i with the owner and they've said "oh yeh, this just needs doing, but its not expensive, only arond £?" at which point you immediately ask yourself, "if its that cheap and easy to fix, why haven't you?"

My usual suspect answers are being it either isn't as cheap to fix as that person would have you believe or worse still they didn't care enough about the motor to have it done, which then leaves you wondering what else is needed.

It is worse from a garage point of view, as they're effectively buying something from you that they know they cannot sell, as no one wants to buy a bent / broken or scabby money pit motor from a garage and they certainly wont try and sell it for fear of the owner coming back and demanding stuff be fixed, which eats out of their profit margins.

They have to buy a car from you, at 5 or 6k and have it sat for days, probably weeks, without being able to advertise it and know they have to order up parts or spend money on paint which to them during that time is dead money. car sales is all about turn over, you have a 6k car sat there that isn't on sale that money is dead and not making money, they want to get cars up, on the forecourt and out again as soon as possible, as the sooner you turn a car over, the sooner you've made a few quid and you can reinvest in the next motor to make yet more money.

as much as I dont like car salesmen at all, they've gotta earn a living!

·
Registered
346 Posts
As said, salesman have to put little money in. They look at worst case scenario, and they would only need put it right to sell it afterall. My advise is present the car needing nothing, that way they cannot beat you down, but they only want to pay low money anyway. Sell it private.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Oh I understand that but I said I was willing to do the work. It has 3 dents, one alloy is kerbed and the stitching has come apart (about an inch ) on the drivers seat. Like I say ive priced it up and its about 500 quid. If you take the 500 off or add it on to what the px value theyve given me that would be about 6k spend for the dealer Ive seen dealers knocking out 56 plates with more mileage for nearly 7, 7/5k so I think in a way its just greed. With 500 quid spend that car will be mint and they could knock it out easy. Im not greedy I just want near the 6k mark as its still a desirable car. I wanted a quick sell as I wanted to buy another car but now that aint going to happen so just feel like im being messed about. Even Webuyanycar offered more on the original valuation which I wouldn't sell to anyway but it is frustrating. Il have to do the work myself and sell it private.

·
Registered
795 Posts
when i brought mine the guy i got it from went to part ex at the garage he brought it from its a 1 owner full history from fords themselfs and he was offered 5K with 55K on clock, so i gave him the 5K for it and when i spoke to fords they said they would have put it up for 7500, goes to show what fords make on them,

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yeah its greed mate simple as. If they made 500 quid on every car they sold they would still be laughing. Problem is alot of peoole just say ok have it for that then. The car I was looking at doesnt come up often so god knows how long it would be before I see another. Might just do the work and sell it private and chuck the funds in the bank to help the mortgage deposit.

·
Registered
67 Posts
all car garages need to earn money, i was a car salesman for about 8 years. if they gave you £5k for it then i'd expect them to put it up for £6995. they've got to repair your damaged bits, put a warranty on it, make a profit and have a little to bargain with for the new owner. so more than likely the garage will only make around £800 out of the sale

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Oh I understand that but I said I was willing to do the work. It has 3 dents, one alloy is kerbed and the stitching has come apart (about an inch ) on the drivers seat. Like I say ive priced it up and its about 500 quid. If you take the 500 off or add it on to what the px value theyve given me that would be about 6k spend for the dealer Ive seen dealers knocking out 56 plates with more mileage for nearly 7, 7/5k so I think in a way its just greed. With 500 quid spend that car will be mint and they could knock it out easy. Im not greedy I just want near the 6k mark as its still a desirable car. I wanted a quick sell as I wanted to buy another car but now that aint going to happen so just feel like im being messed about. Even Webuyanycar offered more on the original valuation which I wouldn't sell to anyway but it is frustrating. Il have to do the work myself and sell it private.
Mate that is where you are going wrong, if they don't want to offer you what you think your car is worth then how are you being messed about, nothing has changed in the car sales industry in so much as you take a car in to get valued and if you want top dollar it needs to be in top dollar condition so they can't quibble.

By taking it in with 3 dents, a kerbed alloy and a seat that needs stitching they were probably rubbing their hands with glee, did you clean and polish it too??

As for the greed part, again this is an industry and they are there to make money based on commission, if dealer prices aren't high then there is less profit, less commission and less wages, that isn't greed that is good business sense

I paid £6000 for my 55 plate ST-2 privately in the summer and i wouldnt expect to get offered anymore than that if i was part exchanging it now and it has no dents, no kerbed alloy and none of the seats need stitching, the best prices are always going to be from selling it private.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Yeah its greed mate simple as. If they made 500 quid on every car they sold they would still be laughing.
That cracks me up

If you were in the position of the salesman that is working to top his wages up with the commission based on the sale of the vehicle would you only want £500 to go on top of the price in the first place? You are complaining that they are not offering you what you want for your car and yet you are moaning about what they should be selling them for

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah but its only 500 quids worth of work which If I done would mean they'd only offer about 6 which is still less then the car is worth by a mile. Im not trying to rip any dealers off as im well aware of the business and how it works but surely when you know how much someone needs for a car which is still less then what it should go for I think a bit of negotiation needs to take place especially if the dealer can still make a tidy profit on it. All depends what the dealer is looking to make on the car. Ive had about 4 prices from different dealers all varying by nearly 800 quid. How does that work? Not trying to slag off any dealers but I think they need to be a bit more open to private sellers if they can still make a profit. Trying to make 2k on a car whwn they could make a grand and make the seller happy aswell I think is just silly. Surely having 500 quid profit is better then none? If you get offered a low px because they want to make a big profit most of the time your just going to walk away because you know what they want. Surely lowering the profit margin is better as they still get a car to sell to make a profit. If you walk away they dont get your car atall. Il be fair there are some good dealers about who are honest but I can't see how the value is so low.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That cracks me up

If you were in the position of the salesman that is working to top his wages up with the commission based on the sale of the vehicle would you only want £500 to go on top of the price in the first place? You are complaining that they are not offering you what you want for your car and yet you are moaning about what they should be selling them for
Its not like its the only car they are selling lol. If you walk away they are getting zero anyway so why not take the money. ?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ive just put 2new eagle f1s on it and two which are from the end of October. That's nearly 500 quid of tyres so might aswell take em off, stick some cheapos on and then do the deal. Might be able to cover the difference a bit that way

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Mate its sales, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And this is where you need to bite the bullet and either sell it private or take what is on offer because its very rare that they up the price and offer more unless you are taking something from them in return

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
No salesman wants to buy a car off you that needs work doing, no matter the cost. Get it sorted then try again. Would you buy a car if the owner knocked off money to get stuff sorted? I wouldn't. If they're telling you out certain buts that need doing, perhaps there's also other stuff that they aren't telling you about...

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
If you walk away they are getting zero anyway so why not take the money. ?
I don't follow that?

So if i don't buy their car they don't make any money so why don't they just buy your car and be even further out of pocket having not sold something, but bought something that may sit just as long on their forecourt?

I think i have it right now

If it's any consolation i understand your annoyance at not getting what you think is a fair price for your car but the thing you are missing here is that it is you that thinks it's a fair price and not the garages, there are very few products out there that sell for their real value and cars are no exception.

Everyone wants a bargain until they are selling and they want the best they can get, but most forget that the person you are selling to still wants the bargain

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Hannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng on a minute.

you want as close as possible to 6k for it
theres 500 quids worth of damage and you've been offered 5.5k

is that not the price you're after?

edit: i see what you mean now. you think its worth 6k with the damage. TBH, i'd spend the money getting the car fixed. Give it a good clean and make sure the paint is really spotlessly shiny. You'll easily pull 6k if not more.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Well like I said im not being greedy but I think about 6k even with the damage is a good price. If a dealer buys a car they dont know exactly what history its had. You can check on loads of sites to make sure its not written off etc so on that side its covered. Cosmetic work is cosmetic work end of. You only have to look at a car to see whether its had a botch paint job and someone selling cars could probably tell a mile off if it is. My car isnt like that. Yes one dent in the rear door is big which I posted a pic of last week but the rest isnt bad and fairly cheap to sort out. Like I say it about 500 to do the lot so I think more could be offered but hey ho like you say, that's car sales for ya I guess. I mean what would you expect a good 07 plate 58000 mile st to sell for? Maybe I am being a bit unrealistic as to the price but I dont know.

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Well like I said im not being greedy but I think about 6k even with the damage is a good price. If a dealer buys a car they dont know exactly what history its had. You can check on loads of sites to make sure its not written off etc so on that side its covered. Cosmetic work is cosmetic work end of. You only have to look at a car to see whether its had a botch paint job and someone selling cars could probably tell a mile off if it is. My car isnt like that. Yes one dent in the rear door is big which I posted a pic of last week but the rest isnt bad and fairly cheap to sort out. Like I say it about 500 to do the lot so I think more could be offered but hey ho like you say, that's car sales for ya I guess. I mean what would you expect a good 07 plate 58000 mile st to sell for? Maybe I am being a bit unrealistic as to the price but I dont know.
problem is there is lots around, so condition will make the sale, poor condition will not wet anyones appetite, and its all "
" the dealer will have to sort out, which to be honest, which car dealer wants more hassle these days as the market is shall we say, less than great?

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Well i paid £6000 for my 55 plate ST-2 with 39K on the clock and a full history with 2 previous owners and there was nothing wrong with it other than a bit of mild kerbing to the alloys, but in the dealers the same cars were going for £7000-£7500, if i was selling mine private with 43K miles on it then even with all the work that i have had done on it i wouldnt expect to get more than £7000 for it and that would be selling it to someone that knew what they were buying, knew the value of all the work that had been done and who were an obvious enthusiast looking for a fully modded ST.

In reality if i was taken it to a dealer i wouldnt expect to get more than £5500 for it based on its condition and low mileage too, that's why unless i was part exchanging it for another car with a significantly higher value (which can help drive the base price of yours more sympathetically sometimes) it would be getting sold privately, but with garages and mechanics on both sides of my family i would be just as well running it until i can't be bothered anymore and then giving it to one of the kids

1 - 20 of 57 Posts