Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Any thoughts on this ST?

After one in the lower price range, and this fits almost perfectly. Silver - perfect (for me) FDSH - perfect, 5 door - perfect (for me) ST-3 perfect. The only thing is the miles are slightly above what I was hoping for as in time, I would like to push the car a bit with a few mods, just intercooler, induction kit, full exhaust and stage 3 map.

Is it a little high in the mileage range to be pushing the car that much?

Any veteran advice guys? pretty tempted, it's a couple of months out of budget but can probably borrow the extra cash, its just the mileage, if it was just 5-10k less.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
Registered
557 Posts
Any thoughts on this ST?

After one in the lower price range, and this fits almost perfectly. Silver - perfect (for me) FDSH - perfect, 5 door - perfect (for me) ST-3 perfect. The only thing is the miles are slightly above what I was hoping for as in time, I would like to push the car a bit with a few mods, just intercooler, induction kit, full exhaust and stage 3 map.

Is it a little high in the mileage range to be pushing the car that much?

Any veteran advice guys? pretty tempted, it's a couple of months out of budget but can probably borrow the extra cash, its just the mileage, if it was just 5-10k less.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT
I don't think it is that high considering its age. I realise there will be 56 plates with less, but it is still only around 10-12000 a year.

·
Captain Slow
16,287 Posts
36,000 miles isn't that high a milage and I'm sure that there are members on here that have done a lot more with modified cars.

I know a member that traded their ST in that had done 65,000 miles (mostly re-mapped miles) and it still purred like a kitten

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't think it is that high considering its age - Right you are, not high for it's age, just was hoping for a little lower - but then would that really make much difference mod-wise, maybe I'm just being too fussy, it's pretty much perfect in every other way

65,000 miles (mostly re-mapped miles) - Strong engines in the ST then - great news. (stage 3 though? pushing things pretty hard)

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
It looks like a very nice car. Yes, you could find one with lower miles. But cost of car would probably be higher.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I wouldnt worry about those miles its not high at all iv just bought a 57 plate with 20000 on so its only 16000 more. and a year older so its nothing to worry about and it sounds like a well looked after serviced ST with all the origional docs.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Looks nice and tidy. Wheels have been modded, so maybe check if any other mods have been done and removed for sale - it may already have been running a map beforehand?

Mileage is fine for the age, although it doesn't have any options over and above the std ST3 - depends if that bothers you, I wasn't bothered about options when I bought mine but now I've had it for a couple of years I wish looking back I had taken more time and found one with at least auto wipers and auto aircon etc instead of buying the first one I saw.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I'd go for it. Seems a good price, average miles and looks tidy.

It is quite rare to get everything you want so a compromise over slightly higher miles than you wanted (but essentially not a high mileage car) seems reasonable.

It is worth bearing in mind that there aren't so many 5 door models around, so it may be a while before you find another one.

And it's in the best colour too

·
President of the Universe
3,942 Posts
Correct colour? Check.

Correct number of doors? Check.

ST-3? Check.

Sunroof? Oh well.....3 out of 4 ain't bad.....

Looks like a winner to me.....

EDIT --> Together with the wheels, the calipers have been painted blue and the rear "diffuser" has either been covered in vinyl or painted. Nothing wrong with any of that, but as Dream Weaver points out this might be indicative of other mods having been removed prior to sale......

ANOTHER EDIT --> Be advised the seller is obviously a bit of a "dealer". He has nine other cars for sale through eBay. Again, nothing wrong with that, but it means you are almost certainly not buying from the previous owner........

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Good Price, looks in very nice nick, better than mine which is well over a year younger. Mileage isnt high by any stretch and will take the mods you plan no problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looked at a lot of ST's lately when i was buying my own and id say that was a good price mate, especially if you can get it between the bid price and buy it now price, might be worth contacting the vendor and see if you can secure it for less than the buy it now rather than risk losing it in the bids.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow thanks for the tons of the great advice!!

In that case, think I'm going to take some cash and go take a look this evening, will try for around 8800 ish I reckon, shame he is an experienced wheeler dealer. Bit worried about the little bits done on it like the brakes and diffuser, Stevenage is quite known for boy racers. But history is all there so will see how she drives.

Anything to look out for? I know nothing about mechanics really.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks good.
The mods you're aware of would more suggest that the previous owner took a lot of pride in the car, like the people on this forum. Another indicator will be the service history. A fastidious owner will stick to the service schedule so you should see at least 3 main dealer stamps in the service book. You could contact the previous owner to clear up any issues you might have before parting with your cash. Their name and address will be on the registration document.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That's a nice tidy looking
. It's well worth a look. That mileage is ok too, mine has done a lot more than that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No offence regarding the mods Liz-wizz, I'm all for tasteful modding, and taking pride in your car. Was just hoping it hadn't been raged around all it's life.

So went to the bank, got all the money together just about to go and take it out, luckily HPI checked it.

Finance outstanding and DVLA mileage reporting 85000. Could all be explainable, but I'm staying well clear!

Thanks very much for all the comments though guys and girls, really helpful - just a shame about the car.

FORD, FOCUS ST-3
  • Not reported as Stolen
  • Not at high risk of fraud or theft
  • Finance agreement found
  • No insurance write-off details found
AutoCheck report carried out on 10/03/2010 at 17:29:44.

Vehicle Identification Number was not supplied. Do not purchase this vehicle until you have confirmed the VIN.

AutoCheck Insurance Registration Details AutoCheck Insurance has not been registered against this car.

The VIN must be confirmed before insurance can be registered.

Car Details MakeFORDModelFOCUS ST-3Transmission & fuel typeMANUAL 6 GEARS PETROLBody type5 DOOR HATCHBACKEngine no.6U75543ColourSILVERNumber of gears6Engine capacity2521ccFirst registered14/09/2006Year of manufacture2006CO2 Emissions
Mileage Details SourceDateMileageDVLA18/02/2010
85,000Warning: Mileage data is supplied by third parties and may not be correct.

Finance Agreement Details There is an existing finance agreement/loan recorded against this car

Finance companyVWFS (UK) LTD
Contact number0870 0102022Agreement number0000440125657237
Agreement typePCP - Personal Contract Purchase
Finance car descriptionfocus HATCHBACK 2 5 ST-3

Keeper Change Details Number of previous keepers2Most recent keeper change08/01/2008 Date of other change: 11/01/2007

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
That was a lucky escape!!! If a car looks too good to be true there is normally a reason.

There are lots of good ones out there, good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts