Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought a few comments and suggestions might help me here!

Basically I have worked out over the next 3years if I change my ST to a Focus RS it will cost me about £5/6k more to own the RS, the monthly payments are the same but obv I wouldn't own the RS in 3 years, whereas I will own the ST (already had it 2 years you see on finance).

I will be spending probably about £1000 on a Mountune exhaust system on the ST (xmas pressie from the missus
) so I could use that as a deposit...hmmmmmm lol

Plus it would make sense to beat the VAT increase lol...so what would you do? If the answers yes...anyone know the best place to get an RS from without waiting forever?

Cheers

·
1,285 Posts
QUOTE(NickC @ 13 Dec 2009, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought a few comments and suggestions might help me here!

Basically I have worked out over the next 3years if I change my ST to a Focus RS it will cost me about £5/6k more to own the RS, the monthly payments are the same but obv I wouldn't own the RS in 3 years, whereas I will own the ST (already had it 2 years you see on finance).

I will be spending probably about £1000 on a Mountune exhaust system on the ST (xmas pressie from the missus
) so I could use that as a deposit...hmmmmmm lol

Plus it would make sense to beat the VAT increase lol...so what would you do? If the answers yes...anyone know the best place to get an RS from without waiting forever?

Cheers

Guess you will be joining this then

http://www.fordrsoc.com/

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
my thoughts are,

the rs is a sexy ford very nice

too much money for a sexy ford nice ford

its not an every day car unless your willing to lose loads off money stuck in the garage looking good

the only time its gonna be worth any thing near you pay for it is in 30-40 years time with no milage, i buy a car to use

and thats 30 grande before you start modify it more bhp ect ect for that sort of money no lol

and that my opinion before any one whats to start arguing

·
Registered
14,671 Posts
If you kept the ST and paid it off in three years what would you do?Most people then buy another car, so the payments would continue anyway.If that's the case, buy an RS. If you are paying the same amount monthly what would you rather have sat in your driveway?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(kevin @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>my thoughts are,

the rs is a sexy ford very nice

too much money for a sexy ford nice ford

its not an every day car unless your willing to lose loads off money stuck in the garage looking good

the only time its gonna be worth any thing near you pay for it is in 30-40 years time with no milage, i buy a car to use

and thats 30 grande before you start modify it more bhp ect ect for that sort of money no lol

I have to admit I thought the same to, but a lot of people say its very comfortable and nice to live with..plus its not going to cost me anything more per month. I will just lose whatever the ST has in equity in 3yrs time.

I hear what you say tho with the modding, I would have to "try" not to lol

QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you kept the ST and paid it off in three years what would you do?Most people then buy another car, so the payments would continue anyway.If that's the case, buy an RS. If you are paying the same amount monthly what would you rather have sat in your driveway?

Thats a very good point, I would probably chop it in for something cheaper...so the ST would be just equity towards something else I guess! I would love to look out the window and see the RS...

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
QUOTE(hjcrichard @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If you kept the ST and paid it off in three years what would you do?Most people then buy another car, so the payments would continue anyway.If that's the case, buy an RS. If you are paying the same amount monthly what would you rather have sat in your driveway?

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
Mmmm what a nice dilema your in ....

Have you tested the RS ???

If no I suggest you do ... I found it a different animal ... corners better, holds the road better, much smoother map.

But not as practical ... the ride is much harder ... I like that but not all do ... the seats not as comfortable (hold you better but not as much padding !!!)

I dont really think that my drive to work on A & B roads would see me arrive as happy comfortable and as relaxed as in my ST..... Dont get me wrong I would love an RS but not as an everyday "family" car

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Amanda @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mmmm what a nice dilema your in ....

Have you tested the RS ???

If no I suggest you do ... I found it a different animal ... corners better, holds the road better, much smoother map.

But not as practical ... the ride is much harder ... I like that but not all do ... the seats not as comfortable (hold you better but not as much padding !!!)

I dont really think that my drive to work on A & B roads would see me arrive as happy comfortable and as relaxed as in my ST..... Dont get me wrong I would love an RS but not as an everyday "family" car

I could never test an RS I don't think as no dealers every have any in stock, and when they do you can't drive one! I have sat in a few, seemed nice enough! But comfort is important for me as the missus suffers from a bad back sometimes.

QUOTE(Sus @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Very uncomfortable to sit in and i have lots of my own padding

I have to admit thats slightly worrying to hear, as most of the people I know who have driven one said it was very nice...

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
£26k aren't they? Better out there? Why does it keep coming top of the road tests then? Even against the likes of Impreza STis etc

I agree it's a lot of money for a Focus but it's so much more than that

Chris

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
Its not so much more than that, car magazines are never going to slate off car that every other magazine rants and raves about. Yeah they are a nice car and they do perform well. But an ST could be just a good a car with a couple of k spent on it.

Ive been toying with the idea but for 26 just for the basic model and the long waiting list i think i would wait until ford have flooded the market with them and they drop in price.

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
QUOTE(NickC @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I could never test an RS I don't think as no dealers every have any in stock, and when they do you can't drive one!

O I must be privellaged !!! .. but my dealer is small and he knows me very well, his came in on Thursday I drove it on Monday (40 miles on the clock) .... and yea he let me drive as I wanted.

If you are seriously considering I suggest you "insist" on a test drive.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its not so much more than that, car magazines are never going to slate off car that every other magazine rants and raves about. Yeah they are a nice car and they do perform well. But an ST could be just a good a car with a couple of k spent on it.

Ive been toying with the idea but for 26 just for the basic model and the long waiting list i think i would wait until ford have flooded the market with them and they drop in price.

I agree the price is steep. I know they are really good and I want one but for that price I think I'd become a badge snob and get an Audi S3

Chris

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't buy one. The stylings not as "subtle" as the ST, yes the ST stands out but the RS just screams RACEMERACEMERACEME to the chavs and PULLMEPULLMEPULLME to the BiB. I actually found the seats a bit uncomfy to sit in as well to begin with whereas the ST seats beg for your ass and my ass enjoys obliging

I'd much much rather spend the cash on a skiing holiday or two and keep the ST as let's be honest here, the ST, once remapped, is fast enough for every day useage.

Maybe if you threw it round a track every weekend it might be worth getting it as you'd get a lot more enjoyment out of it, but as a day to day car, the ST has it beat imho.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts