Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 years and 80,000+kms with my ST, I'm thinking I might need new shocks. The suspension seems to compress more easily and the ride quality a little worse.

Anyone has some idea how long the std shock absorbers can last on the car?
Also, there's not much discussion regarding shocks on this forum I notice, is this because the OE shocks are the best or anyone has tried other replacements like Bilstein B6s or Konis etc?
I'm still riding on the standard springs.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
A lot of members including me have just gone for spring upgrades which improve the handling a fair bit, no way near as good as full coilovers/spring and damper kits but it let's you keep most of the ride comfort.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE(hunkracer260 @ 10 Dec 2009, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>After 2 years and 80,000+kms with my ST, I'm thinking I might need new shocks. The suspension seems to compress more easily and the ride quality a little worse.

Anyone has some idea how long the std shock absorbers can last on the car?
Also, there's not much discussion regarding shocks on this forum I notice, is this because the OE shocks are the best or anyone has tried other replacements like Bilstein B6s or Konis etc?
I'm still riding on the standard springs.

Hi, I use Bilstein B8 dampers with the Eibach lowering kit.
Really works well, massive improvement over stock.
It would cost a lot more to get only a bit better, I've driven adjustable coilover
set-ups from KW & Bilstein, if the lack of adjustment won't frustrate you it works 99.9% as well, honest.
I've had a fair bit of experience setting up car suspension having raced and prepared single seats for a fair few seasons at club level,
I tend to believe the 'developed on the Nurbergring' stick on the damper body. They've done a good job.

One of the biggest improvements over the stock dampers is the behaviour under breaking, on the stock dampers the nose would dive & it
felt like the car was pivoting on the front axle (quite alarmingly so at times). With the B8s it couldn't be more different, a no fuss haul down
from any speed.

If you don't do any track days, stock springs & B6 dampers would be my choice.
Alternatively a good track day set-up (at least to my back-side) would be B8 dampers, Eibach lowering kit, 24mm front ARB & 25mm rear ARB.
The track day set-up is perfectly suitable for daily use, it's just probably not worth spending the money on ARBs etc if you use the car 100% on public roads.

Hope that helps,
Jon

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
B6 arent shortened so arent really suitable.

The B8s are setup as uprated shortened dampers with the rebound setting set on click 5-6 on coilovers. I find it perfect for everyday use though can be a bit much on long journeys. I would love coilovers but i just cant justify spending the extra £600 to replace the b8s.

The setup we are going to be selling as our fast road package is, front and rear 24mm anti roll bars and h&r lowering springs. For a more ultimate road package we would put in a b8 suspension kit.

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE(TheCustomTouch @ 13 Dec 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>B6 arent shortened so arent really suitable.

The B8s are setup as uprated shortened dampers with the rebound setting set on click 5-6 on coilovers. I find it perfect for everyday use though can be a bit much on long journeys. I would love coilovers but i just cant justify spending the extra £600 to replace the b8s.

The setup we are going to be selling as our fast road package is, front and rear 24mm anti roll bars and h&r lowering springs. For a more ultimate road package we would put in a b8 suspension kit.

Hence my suggestion to run B6 with stock springs & B8 with Eibach lowered.

JG

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE(JayGee @ 14 Dec 2009, 05:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, I use Bilstein B8 dampers with the Eibach lowering kit.
Really works well, massive improvement over stock.
It would cost a lot more to get only a bit better, I've driven adjustable coilover
set-ups from KW & Bilstein, if the lack of adjustment won't frustrate you it works 99.9% as well, honest.
I've had a fair bit of experience setting up car suspension having raced and prepared single seats for a fair few seasons at club level,
I tend to believe the 'developed on the Nurbergring' stick on the damper body. They've done a good job.

One of the biggest improvements over the stock dampers is the behaviour under breaking, on the stock dampers the nose would dive & it
felt like the car was pivoting on the front axle (quite alarmingly so at times). With the B8s it couldn't be more different, a no fuss haul down
from any speed.

If you don't do any track days, stock springs & B6 dampers would be my choice.
Alternatively a good track day set-up (at least to my back-side) would be B8 dampers, Eibach lowering kit, 24mm front ARB & 25mm rear ARB.
The track day set-up is perfectly suitable for daily use, it's just probably not worth spending the money on ARBs etc if you use the car 100% on public roads.

Hope that helps,
Jon

Jon, thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll probably go for the stock spring and B6 damper option. Anybody knows where I can get a good deal on the B6s please let me know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts