Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is going in for service and test tomorrow and because it hasnt been out of the garage since mid December i thought i would take if for a spin to make sure all was well.

Once i had warmed it up i gave it the beans from the roundabout and the shift light luminated at 4000 rpm and continued to do so in every gear up the duel carrageway. Ran it for a little longer now it is back to normal luminating at circa 6.5k rpm.

Is this normal and if so why does it do it?? - Wondering it forgotten the settings due it not being used for so long??

Thanks

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
When running DS on my car the shift light comes on at lower revs when the engine's not fully warmed up - are you taking the water temp as the car being warmed up or the oil temperature? Oil temp is what you should go off.

Can't see the shift light setting in a map being 'forgotten' if the car's stood for a few weeks.

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,494 Posts
Shift light comes on at lower revs when the engine is cold to help protect it

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
+1

On my Mountune, it illuminates at around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm when cold. Then about 5,500 - 6,000 when warm. (I think)

·
Registered
11,718 Posts
QUOTE(Mart170 @ 14 Jan 2010, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>+1

On my Mountune, it illuminates at around 2,500 - 3,000 rpm when cold. Then about 5,500 - 6,000 when warm. (I think)

Sounds about right to me mate.

·
Registered
689 Posts

Mine is exactly the same.

·
Super Moderator
MK3 Focus RS Nitrous Blue
8,494 Posts
I wouldn't rev it to much when cold could do untold damage,just take it steady until warmed up doesn't take to long

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers gents, that would appear to be the answer

I always use the Oil temp as a guide to it's "Warm up" period but i guess due to the cold weather it has took a little longer

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I noticed this myself and though oh god more problems. As others have said as the engine gets warmer the light comes on later.

·
Registered
269 Posts

+1 Exact same. Let it warm mate

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
I recall reading an article about the shift light guys and they refered to it as the temperature related, shift light. its main function is to protect the engine when cold, & then to stop you over reving when warm. hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 14 Jan 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I recall reading an article about the shift light guys and they refered to it as the temperature related, shift light. its main function is to protect the engine when cold, & then to stop you over reving when warm. hope this helps.

But am i right in thinking ONLY mapped cars have the shift light enabled?

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(christiano @ 14 Jan 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But am i right in thinking ONLY mapped cars have the shift light enabled?
Yes - up until sometime in 2008 when Ford changed the cluster and it can't be enabled after that.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Audi S3 Sportsback
8,082 Posts
Running Ds Mod C my shift light comes on at 3000rpm when the engine temp is cold and once it is fully warm i am sure it is over 6000 rpm , but cant be sure as i dont take it that high very often

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(christiano @ 14 Jan 2010, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>But am i right in thinking ONLY mapped cars have the shift light enabled?

yes mate, its enabled with the remap. but as far as im aware its not set to come on at peak power in each gear, its purely temperature related safety light. looks cool though

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
Same here, i only ever really notice it when the car is cold but never need to rev it past 6000rpm on the road. The light is only a warning it doesn't cut the revs, so if you wanted you can rev it as much as you want.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(stingy @ 14 Jan 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>but as far as im aware its not set to come on at peak power in each gear, its purely temperature related safety light. looks cool though

I've always understood it was set-up as a shift light with the remaps, not all of them run it as temperature dependant when the engine's cold - Bluefin for one.

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 14 Jan 2010, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've always understood it was set-up as a shift light with the remaps, not all of them run it as temperature dependant when the engine's cold - Bluefin for one.

could be mate. probably depends what map. think mountune is temp related though. maybe some of the tuners could clarify this. is peak power not at different revs in each gear? if it is then the light should flash at different revs depending on what gear your in. but im way way out of my comfort zone on this issue now!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts