Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
You'll definitely need to drop the tyre pressures, maybe to 30 psi or less but I'll let someone else confirm best pressures to run.

As for engine warm-up i'd say to get it up to normal water and oil temps before you get out on track. Maybe give it a pre-warm up with half an hour to go so the heat's nicely soaked into the oil and block etc. I'd definitely want the oil temp up to 1/4 on the gauge or higher before giving it full beans, even on the road.

·
Registered
506 Posts
As for engine warm-up i'd say to get it up to normal water and oil temps before you get out on track. Maybe give it a pre-warm up with half an hour to go so the heat's nicely soaked into the oil and block etc. I'd definitely want the oil temp up to 1/4 on the gauge or higher before giving it full beans, even on the road.
+ 1 make sure she's nice and warm

·
Registered
918 Posts
You end up sitting in the pit lane for a while at Silverstone so just the drive to the pit lane and waiting there with engine running will be enough.

Tyre wise I run 32psi all around and found this to be best (I run nitrogen rather than air though). Make sure brake fluid is fresh or is 5.1 plus enough meat on pads and discs all around. Also make sure all fluids are at correct level and no leaks are present - leaks will mean no track time if you get spotted leaking.

If you on coilovers make sure they are set to quite a firmish setting and wound reasonably down as this will help on the bends at Silverstone

Rob

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I use the same pressure for road and track! ( 36 psi in Toyos and Contis, 33 psi in Falkens) Warm up should be taken care of by driving to the collecting area as long as you are arriving at about the same time as the session before you go out! Dont forget to know where your tow eye is and to wear cloting that covers arms and legs! Take both parts of your licence to signing on and dont be late! When on track be aware of everything going on around you! If someone has caught you up let them go past as they are going quicker than you! Slowing them down is the quickest way to have an off! Spend as much time looking in your mirror as looking ahead! Dont try and latch on to the back of someone who passes you as you will end up getting out of your depth! Just have a good time and dont try and race! Remember in slow, out fast! In fast, out on the back of the transporter!

·
Registered
13,907 Posts
All very good advice, my first track session i left my traction control on for the first few laps, best advice is to relax and drive as smoothly as possible, no matter what cars are on the track talent counts more than bhp.

And have a great time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts