Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had a quote to do an interim service but it is not using Ford parts and to do so I am looking at quite a lot of extra money. How essential would you say it is to use genuine ford filters?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I'm in the motor trade and we fix all makes of vechicles and use aftermarket stuff..expensive cars too with no problems..these parts have to be made to a high standard now a days.
But with my own car i use ford stuff but thats just me been doing that for years even with my vauxhalls.
If your going aftermarket than ask for the better stuff like FRAM etc and not the dead cheap bits.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well the quotes vary by around 100 quid. With the major service I went ford parts and with the cambelt I am using a genuine ford part I am just not sure how vital to have the filters as genuine is.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Mahle or fram. You won't go far wrong with either but mahle is oem with lots of German / Swedish stuff anyway. I'm sure genuine volvo stuff is too.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
You can get a full major genuine service kit from carpartsexpress for 85 quid and castrol magnetic for 33 quid. Or you can get non ford parts for what say 30 quid less? For 30 quid just buy the right stuff.

·
Registered
732 Posts
The majority of service parts are all made in the same factory, just with different labels and put in a different box. The only reason I use genuine is because I get a lot of things at trade price and I like to keep my history file full of Ford receipts.

On my daily mondeo I use cheap service parts from either a motor factor or ebay, they are always the same quality as parts I would buy over the Ford counter and I have never had an issue. Having said that, for something like a cambelt kit, I would go genuine as if it were to fail, you have somewhere to point the finger!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts