Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just purchased an ST-3 from a garage which has FSH and no advisories on the latest MOT, however some aesthetic indications suggest previous owner was probably a bit of a boy racer, and it's done 49,500 miles

On that basis can anyone advise if there is anything that I ought to get checked or replaced/serviced for a car of that mileage to be safe? And am I correct in thinking it's chain drive and therefore I don't need to be worried about cambelt?

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm anticipating hanging on to it for a while, cheers :)

Martin.

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,482 Posts
Ford chains are exceptionally well made, it will only be the tensioner that can fail, but that will be due to lack of correct maintenance, catch can is pretty much essential on this engine, along with an inlet valve clean, I wouldn’t personally do more than 5k between oil changes, using good quality oil and oem filter, oils cheap, metal isn’t, read up on LSPI, it could save your engine, there’s plenty of YouTube videos on the matter.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,680 Posts
I didn't fit a catch can to any of my Mk3s, so I'm not sure it's 'essential' - I don't doubt it has it's use but I don't think I'd use the word 'essential'. Be interesting to know how many others have fitted one, I bet it's not many.

Reactions: Swifty1

·
Registered
Mk4 ST280
1,509 Posts
I didn't say a service on the chain, it's expected life is 10 years or 125k ( ford recommendation )
It's referred to as a service interval when belts/chain needs replacing.
The chain in the ecoboost does not have a service interval for replacement.
It is designed for the life of the engine, not just 10 years. That's only the belts.

EDIT:
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Circle

·
Registered
835 Posts
It's referred to as a service interval when belts/chain needs replacing.
The chain in the ecoboost does not have a service interval for replacement.
It is designed for the life of the engine, not just 10 years. That's only the belts.

EDIT:
View attachment 908724
Ford recommend at 125k miles for the timing chain, my next door neighbour is a mechanic there ...just messaged her about , belt is 60k or 5 years...whichever comes first

·
Registered
Mk4 ST280
1,509 Posts
Ford recommend at 125k miles for the timing chain, my next door neighbour is a mechanic there ...just messaged her about , belt is 60k or 5 years...whichever comes first
That screenshot is the service schedule....from Ford... 🤷‍♂️

I have never known a manufacturer to recommend a chain be changed at regular intervals, even 10 years.

The belt in oil in the 1.0 ecoboom wasn't even supposed to need replacing until failures started happening, they have switched to a chain now to avoid this requirement.

·
Registered
835 Posts
That screenshot is the service schedule....from Ford... 🤷‍♂️

I have never known a manufacturer to recommend a chain be changed at regular intervals, even 10 years.

The belt in oil in the 1.0 ecoboom wasn't even supposed to need replacing until failures started happening, they have switched to a chain now to avoid this requirement.
Phone ford then, their recommendation may have changed, who knows but now they're recommending 125k or 10 years, & 60k or 5 years for a belt...that's come from a ford mechanic, not an amateur mechanic sat behind a desk at work

·
Registered
mk3.5 Focus ST250 in tangerine scream
15 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I just went to my local Ford dealer and bought every service item Inc a cabin filrer and changed the lot. I was happy to see everything was right and as an ex mechanic I just wanted a starting point.

·
Registered
Tangerine Scream ST3 2013, with some stuff done.
2,482 Posts
This is the amount of fluid which would have passed over the inlet valves, after only 3k, if a catch can wasn’t fitted.
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Synthetic rubber Gas

this is one valve after only 35k, just imagine what happens when a lump breaks off and ends up in the cylinders, especially on a higher miles car, not to mention less inlet flow and pre ignition problems too.
Head Eye Eyebrow Eyelash Organism

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I didn't fit a catch can to any of my Mk3s, so I'm not sure it's 'essential' - I don't doubt it has it's use but I don't think I'd use the word 'essential'. Be interesting to know how many others have fitted one, I bet it's not many.
Front & rear catch cans fitted to both my ST (JLT) & RS (HEL). They each got built engines (c/w MT breather plates) and only seem catch a hint of oil when checked every month/250 miles. CC's aren't expensive nor difficult to install, so why not? Probably cheaper & less aggro than carbon cleaning/walnut blasting in the long run too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts