Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Im getting my ST3 soon and im keen to get a few mods bought ready for July when i change to a mod friendly insurance company.

Ive been reading up and from what i can gather the Mountune kit consists of

K&N Panel Filter
Pro Alloy Intercooler
Mountune engine calibration

Now obv i can buy the IC and panel filter but my understanding is that the Mountune calibration can only be done if you purchase the upgrade kit from Mountune. So my question is, if i were to buy an IC and panel filter, what would be the best map to have to take into consideration the other mods and how would this compare to a genuine Mountune package?

Many Thanks,

Russ

·
Registered
839 Posts
Im not sure how much the Mountune upgrade is these days, but by the time you've bought the mods your on about you might as well have got the Mountune package and kept your warranty. Especially if you want something 'similar' to Mountune. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mountune appears to be around the £1200 mark. I was planning on buying an IC for around £300-£350, k&n is £40 which just leaves a remap.

My car is out of warranty on 29th Dec so warranty isnt an issue.

Decisins Decisions lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
dreamscience or bluefin, take your pick.
least if you decide to change cars in the future you have the parts to go on that or sell , if you go for mountune the whole lot goes with the car.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(swaia @ 16 Dec 2009, 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>dreamscience or bluefin, take your pick.
least if you decide to change cars in the future you have the parts to go on that or sell , if you go for mountune the whole lot goes with the car.

Which is what upsets the tight **** in me lol. Is the mountune really worth the extra over the ds or bluefin remap?

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
QUOTE(Rustie @ 16 Dec 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Is the mountune really worth the extra over the ds or bluefin remap?

No! I have the DS Strategem handset which has 9 different maps to choose from and if i decide to buy another ST is transferrable instantly and for free! Thing is youll get a different answer from everyone depending on what they use! Personally i wouldnt bother with a panel filter by the way! Save up and get an induction kit! You can pick up a new K&N 57i kit for about £170 which although its £130 more than a panel filter is better value for money! The panel filter will give you zero power gains and not help with lowering intake temps whereas an induction kit will give you a small power increase (8-12 bhp) and give you a lot of gains in temperature reductions!

·
Registered
518 Posts
My advice is the same as fishface (apart from i recommend Code:Red
)
The only advantage i can see for the Mountune map is that it is ford approved but as you say you are not bothered about your warranty, any of the other 3 will do the trick.
Code:Red, DS and bluefin.
If you can have a go in a car with each and see what map you feel happy with.

·
Dreamscience Flash
2,448 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
if your out of warranty and plan on doing your mods a bit at a time then i would say mountune isnt for you, far better with a D/S and add bits on as you go, and believe me once you get started there will be a lot of bits to add on

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(GHST @ 17 Dec 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Try and get a go in a code:red car,you wont be dissapointed
its a very smooth map and puts a big smile on your face
As with DS you can then add things whenever u want

Agree with the above posts, the Mountune map is supposed to be a mega smooth and superbly calibrated map but the whole package does cost a fair few pennies which is worth it for the reassurance of keeping the Ford warranty but once that runs out there are more affordable options you can take imho.

Bluefin, DS and Code Red are all great products, DS will be the most common product available second hand but they get snapped up quickly too!

·
Registered
658 Posts
QUOTE(coolkrio @ 16 Dec 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>buy a second hand dreamscience unit!! i assure you, you will never regret it.
I agree. Dreamscience is the way fwd...Mountune is a very good package BUT if you're like me and get bored easily then you are stuck! once it's on you can't take it off.
at least it won't be as heavy on your wallet if you are modding bit by bit,try and get yourself to a few meets and i'm sure there will be guys there who have DS,CR and BF and will gladly take you for a spin.
A remap should deffo be Number 1 on your shopping list tho

·
Registered
252 Posts
Equally there is also a downpipe and sports cat available for customers if their warranty's run out which takes it upto to a genuine 280PS. Don't forget we could quote pie in the sky numbers and make you think you're getting more than you are... but we don't operate like that.

In answer to the OP, all I'd say is have you seen the latest Golf GTI advert? The only thing like a Mountune conversion, is a Mountune conversion.

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,112 Posts
If money is tight you cant beat a second-hand DS Stratagem for VFM ...

And you dont really need an IC except for a few weeks in the British 'Summer' (if we have one) ...

I'd spend the cash on suspension, new tyres or better brakes first.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Mountune is an expensive upgrade compared to if you brought the IC and a 2nd hand Dreamscience unit but I have been a passenger in cars that have had both upgrades.

Dreamscience - Very quick the feeling of the torque is immense compared to the standard car and totally worth the money but I found the map to be harsh for how I want my car to perform.

Mountune - Much more refined map the delivery of power is different from Dreamscience and doesn't feel as harsh. Mountune upgrade also changes the settings of the traction control (which i do not think the other remaps do) as a whole this package suits me which is what I will be getting in the new year. I also like the fact it is Ford approved and insurance friendly.

Credit to both though very very impressive upgrades

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
QUOTE(Andy_ST @ 21 Dec 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mountune is an expensive upgrade compared to if you brought the IC and a 2nd hand Dreamscience unit but I have been a passenger in cars that have had both upgrades.

Dreamscience - Very quick the feeling of the torque is immense compared to the standard car and totally worth the money but I found the map to be harsh for how I want my car to perform.

Mountune - Much more refined map the delivery of power is different from Dreamscience and doesn't feel as harsh. Mountune upgrade also changes the settings of the traction control (which i do not think the other remaps do) as a whole this package suits me which is what I will be getting in the new year. I also like the fact it is Ford approved and insurance friendly.

Credit to both though very very impressive upgrades

I have to admit the TC updates are very good compared with when I had DS on the car, I never get interference anymore and it never bogs down or cuts the power when I pull out even when the wheels slip a bit, its as if its been calibrated to help you get away asap instead of just taming wheelspin.

It even helps in the snow, whereas before I had to turn the TC off now I just leave it on and it helps gain a little traction on the slippy stuff!

Impressive and made a whole world of difference to my confidence in the car IMO

Whether or not DS or others have been able to mod the settings recently I don't know, but I do know that the MT update continues to impress me on a daily basis.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts