Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Ok so my new DS exhaust is on order and when its slightly warmer I'll be attempting to fit it myself.

Confident about all the rest but the downpipe....I have read 99% of all the downpipe posts and I'm quite looking forward to the challenge! I've decided (from what I've read) that using rost off ice on the bolts after warming the turbo seems the most successful way of removal. So.... few questions

1. Do I just spray directly onto the bolt head and then get the wrench on them or do i loosen them first then spray them then continue?
2. How long do you spray for?
3. Will one 400ml can of rost off be enough
4. Warming the turbo?? Dont want to burn myself

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(DaveCHCI @ 22 Jan 2010, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Anyone??

I've never used it myself mate - last time my downpipe bolts were taken off my mate roasted them with oxy bottles first and the time before that the bolts actually came out ok.

If you're spraying stuff onto them I'd think you need to try and get into the end of the bolts at the back of the turbo - it's the threads which can seize and I think cooling the bolt heads won't do much on it's own.

Spray it on before you start to loosen the bolts - some can snap before even loosening off.

A 400ml tin will more than be enough for the job I'd say - you'd be spraying for 10 minutes to use that up.

The turbo will get nice and warm when you run the engine for a while. But it will make the downpipe nice and hot and the bolts too depending how the rost-off stuff works. Best be prepared with some thick gloves etc if you don't want to leave it ll for an hour or 2 to cool down.

Are you changing downpipes to sell the car on or keeping it? - there's newer spec bolts for the downpipe now which are supposed to come out easier, they're the same bolt to look at but coated in a copper colour.

Access to some of the bolts is difficult so having a selection of 10mm sockets and spanners would help.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one troy, iv got the new dreamscience exhaust on order, and jared said that the new type bolts will come with the pipe. I've never seen the bolts before, however one more question. you say spray from the back of the holes, from this i assume that the holes on the turbo are open ended both ends? Hope that makes sense!

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Yep Dave, teh threads go right through the turbo flange so they're open at the back. Getting to them with a can of spray can be tricky, it'll help if you've got a flexi plastic tube on the nozzle.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahhh. The posts about drilling them then using threaded bolts and nuts now start to make sense. Knowing this I'd be confident doing this should they snap.

Thanks Troy the help is much appreciated

I like to be prepared for all eventualities!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I`ve done this now three times with no problems i haven't had to use any sort of releasing agent just ran the car for a few miles to warm her up then had no trouble with any of the bolts. it can get a bit warm so a pair of gloves might be useful .

Best of luck

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
QUOTE(bonzey @ 23 Jan 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I`ve done this now three times with no problems i haven't had to use any sort of releasing agent just ran the car for a few miles to warm her up then had no trouble with any of the bolts. it can get a bit warm so a pair of gloves might be useful .

Best of luck

Thanks Bonzey, just cant wait for the delivery of it, and a day thats warm/dry enough to fit it!

My Mrs has got this heat resistant gel glove thing (one of these JML jobbies you see on the telly) to remove hot pans, tins etc from the oven, however there are two issues,

1. She wont want car
all over it
2. Its bright pink!
Might get a few weird looks from the neighbours if i get seen.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I just use a pair of general gardening gloves - the ones which are like rough leather on the palms & fingers with the nice stripey material on the back of the hands lol

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another quick question, anyone who has self fitted the downpipe, race cat, catback, how long does each item take? Cat back I know is quite a task to cut the old pipe, I know the exhaust hangs from the same mounts. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
302 Posts
front pipe is a bit of a pain but i found when i done it cold after being soaked in oil the bolts came straight out ... the rest is a piece of cake

·
Registered
293 Posts
it takes the longest removeing the old one to be honest the bolts on the standard cat back where rusted to
1 just snapped off and then its a pain to cut the standard cat back but after that its a peice of cake all just drops in nicely.... be carefull not to get rust in the eye it hurts

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys just thought I'd update you on how I got on!

What a day!

Went to Adams this morning to pick it up. Got home about 11am unpackaged it all and started to get the car up on stands and take undertray off etc. ALL 3 of the bolts in the downpipe AND ALL 4 on the cat were seized up really bad! Wasted until about 1pm trying to move them with no success. Took it to a garage down the road to do a quick up on the ramp and loosen it all off for me. This took about an hour as they seemed welding in place!

Got home, removed the downpipe and cat and fitted the new ones, not as easy as this sounds
. The sensor nuts were also VERY stiff however they came off eventually
. Just finished tightening all this little lot up and its dark, so tomorrow is the cat back fitting. I've already cut the pipe over the rear axel so it should be a case of off with the old and on with the new.

Its a real pain in the
on axel stands, just couldnt get enough leverage. The garage only charged £15 for loosening everything off so not that bad, and I just turned up on a saturday
. Will get some pics up tomorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(stingy @ 30 Jan 2010, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>result mate. bet ya can't wait to hear the noise!

I tell ya it better be worth it or i think i'll drive it into the canal! Its so
me off today!

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(RS2kJane @ 30 Jan 2010, 08:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You've done this worst bit now Dave. Fitting the cat back is a much easier job.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Jane, I really really hope so.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I take my hat off to you mate for doing it all on axle stands
. I have done all the mods on my car myself but my cousin has a two poster ramp which makes things 100% easier
. Enjoy your zorst when you get it on matey

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
QUOTE(Thurso @ 30 Jan 2010, 08:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I take my hat off to you mate for doing it all on axle stands
. I have done all the mods on my car myself but my cousin has a two poster ramp which makes things 100% easier
. Enjoy your zorst when you get it on matey

Only 100%? From today I would have guessed at alot higher

1 - 20 of 40 Posts