Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just thought i'd post here to vent my frustration and ask if anyone had heard of similar issues.

Had my car for 2 months and loved it but it's developed a loud creak from the drivers seat when cornering or going over speed bumps - the creak sounds like it's coming from the right rail. I got the trim off the seat and tightened everything up i could see to tighten with no joy or improvement. From my untrained fiddling looks and sounds like a loose weld or a crack. Had a quick look online + on this forum for similar issues but none of them seemed to be resolved.

Called up the local Brisol Street Ford and they want 100 quid just to look at it! - obviously refundable if the issue is covered under warranty. I've not taken out any extended warranty from ford, just got a warranty from bluechip when i bought the car which covers drivetrain etc.

Couple of questions then - Has anyone heard of similar issues being resolved? And what kind of a warranty could the car still have from ford that would cover this?

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Funnily enough, this was the exact same fault that bought me to this site, but mine is a mk.2.

2 things, firstly if the seat is to the floor, raise it about 25mm, this cured my problem. However the seat frames in the mk.2 are prone to cracking on the weld at the rear. I dont know if this was fixed with the mk.3, knowing Ford i suspect not!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,408 Posts
Is it the rail or is it the bolsters creaking against the seat base? I had that on all of my Mk3's, was quite annoying! Solved by stuffing a piece of cloth down the side of the seat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cheers for your replies @Sean B @AndyC71

I've just gone and had a fiddle and I'm pretty sure it's the rail. I loosened the bolt on the plate that's attached to the back of the right hand rail (the one that bolts it to the floor) and the creaking stopped - tightened it up and the creaking occurs again. You can feel the two parts (the rail and the plate with the bolt) moving a little bit against each other (I assume they are supposed to be rock solid).
It also looks like there is a gap between the plate that bolts to the floor and the rail where it is attached. Will try and get a pic.

I assume Ford doesn't have any extended warranty on this kind of stuff failing?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I went and had a look at a friend's car, and his has this white sticker under the patch where the bolting plate attached to the rail, where mine doesn't - it either has orange grease or rust under there 😂 will take it down to the garage on Wednesday and see what they say about it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is it the rail or is it the bolsters creaking against the seat base? I had that on all of my Mk3's, was quite annoying! Solved by stuffing a piece of cloth down the side of the seat.
@Sean B, where did you stick that cloth? I've got a microfibre in the car and might as well give it a go on the way home from work today. :)

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,854 Posts
If there is any element of structural failure it needs to be remedied rather than masked.

It may be useful to look at the Mk2 threads to see if there are any similarities.

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,408 Posts
@Sean B, where did you stick that cloth? I've got a microfibre in the car and might as well give it a go on the way home from work today. :)
Between the side of the seat and the centre console, and another between the side of the seat and the plastic base on the door side. It's not the best design, the seats spread after a while and rub on their own base!

·
Premium Member
Steve Mk3.5 MP/275
791 Posts
Had the same problem on my car a while ago, as Sean B says turned out to be the bottom of the side Bolster rubbing against the seat

right in the lower corner, leather on leather easy enough to fix in my case.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If there is any element of structural failure it needs to be remedied rather than masked.
It may be useful to look at the Mk2 threads to see if there are any similarities.
Yeah it's booked into the garage on Wednesday to check it mechanically. Just thought I'd give it a go in case all it needs is a leather treatment.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: just got off the phone with the garage and they say they've fixed the issue by 're-working the bracket'.

Sounds like a re-weld to me... will try and get some more info out of em when I pick it up tonight.

Oh and they also reeled off a list of things that 'should be done' including the front pads, which are only about 20% worn! Made sure to tell them to only to fix the seat and I'll have a look at the other stuff myself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update again: Picked up the car and checked the seat. Feels much better, doesn't shift around or squeak at all. However, @Alb's fears look to be right, as it looks like they've rewelded the rear bracket which must have broken slightly. At least I'm only out 130 quid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts