Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a very unwelcome surprise this morning when I was heading to work.

I went to open the car door and noticed that there wasnt the usual "clunk" from the door locking mechanism. Thats when I knew something wasnt quite right. I peered through the snow covered window to see that the front interior of the car was littered with paperwork etc from the glovebox, the armrest was in the "up" position, the ashtry had been emptied of its receipts and even the little rubber mat from the compartment down below the steering wheel was lying on the floor!

Luckily I had taken the ipod touch out of the car lastnight to charge it up and I had taken out my wallet for some unknown reason. The bad thing was that we had only just got back up the road the previous day and I knew that I had left the PS3 along wth 2 contollers and 19 games in its bag on the floor behind the passenger seat. I looked over and to my surprise it was still there. The intruder also managed to leave behind my chequebook, a tesco gift card worth £20, all paperwork to do with the car (I had just swapped over number plates so all the documents were still in the car along with the retention certificate for the old number). The only things that was taken was a pair of adidas gloves from the door pocket and my electricity token key.

I was 100% that I had locked the car back up after we came back from doing the shopping but obviously I hadnt.

I have reported it to the police who were very helpful. Lets put this one down to experience!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lucky escape for you. Glad there was no damage. i always check my cars locked about 5 times before i leave it!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive just had the police back on the phone saying that there was another incident lastnight with another car so they want mine in for some DNA swab tests. I hope none of my mates are crims, ha!

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sorry to hear.... but personally I wouldnt leave me wallet, cheque book and all my driving documents in the car. I don't even leave loose change in it. You had a lucky escape by not getting those nicked.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(fahrenheit303 @ 6 Jan 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry to hear.... but personally I wouldnt leave me wallet, cheque book and all my driving documents in the car. I don't even leave loose change in it. You had a lucky escape by not getting those nicked.

See, thats the joys of coming back from a visit to your hometown where its safe enough to leave the keys in the ignition overnight and then back to a place like here where even the paint on the railings isnt safe.

I know its my fault and I know that I shouldnt leave things like that in the car, Im just hoping that by writing about it on here will make people more aware of what might happen to them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
QUOTE(fahrenheit303 @ 6 Jan 2010, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry to hear.... but personally I wouldnt leave me wallet, cheque book and all my driving documents in the car. I don't even leave loose change in it. You had a lucky escape by not getting those nicked.

Me too. I have some change for parking and the owners manual and thats about it. Would never leave a wallet or V5 or anything like that in it. You're a very lucky man

·
Registered
523 Posts
You were pretty lucky there
. I stay in quite a quiet area of Thurso but I must admit I always lock my car, good habit to get into. I have stayed in Thurso all my life and have had no problems, guess it could happen anywhere though

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Thurso @ 6 Jan 2010, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You were pretty lucky there
. I stay in quite a quiet area of Thurso but I must admit I always lock my car, good habit to get into. I have stayed in Thurso all my life and have had no problems, guess it could happen anywhere though

Hello there.

Yeah, Barrock Street is quite a quiet area too..................or so I thought. I was sure that I did lock the car as I am pretty good at doing things like that (locking the house/garage etc). Thats whats the annoying thing. I hope theres nothing wrong with my locking system?! Maybe worth mentioning it when its in the garage on Friday!

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE(Rich M @ 6 Jan 2010, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I thought the focus autolocks after 5 mins?

Mine seems to anyways and my Zetec did too.

Mine autolocks after forty five seconds if you open it then don't open a door. I believe its around 5 minutes after you stop the ignition it will auto lock too.

Could just have been the snow/ice interfering with the RF signal or blocking the receiver or your battery is dead in the fob?

I always lock mine about ten times even when i see it lock i still think did i just press the open button or the lock one lol.

Lucky lucky man, especialloy with the V5 in there get that out ASAP.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So you left a PS3 and a chequebook in your car? An ST infact?

There's me wondering exactly who those Government anti theft adverts on the TV at the moment are aimed at.

Question answered!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(jcmanc72 @ 6 Jan 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So you left a PS3 and a chequebook in your car? An ST infact?

There's me wondering exactly who those Government anti theft adverts on the TV at the moment are aimed at.

Question answered!

Is there any need for your sarcastic comment? No, I didnt think so! Some of us are graced as to the society in which we live in. I was brought up in a very respactable area where everyone knew and trusted one another. There was no need for you to lock your back door or tie everything down due to the fear of having it vandalised or stolen. Its not my fault that where I now reside that there are a minority that find it within themselves to go out and do things such as this.

So jcmanc72, what you seem to be missing here is that none of the items that were in my car (PS3, cheque book etc) were on display so how exactly am I inviting thieves to have a go at my car? Have a proper read of the post before jumping in and having a go!

The reason that the PS3 was in the car was that I had forgotton all about it because it was hidden that well. I didnt even see it when I was emptying the rest of the stuff out of the car. As for the cheque book, I hold my hands up. I didnt even realise that it was in the car and it must have been in there for the past 5 months as it was back then that I last put tax on my car.

Oh and yeah, there is a problem with my key fob/transponder unit. Sometimes the car will lock and then open again, as if one of the doors are not shut properly. So into ford it goes.

·
Registered
5,516 Posts
It's easily done and sure you wont make the same mistake again and lucky nothing else was taken

I have OCD when it come's to locking my car or house for that matter and have to check 2 or 3 times before walking away, although have left my window down on a few occasions and thought it had been broken the next morning.

One of the reasons I never got the optional keyfree, how would I ever know it locked

·
Registered
70 Posts
To the OP - have you got keyless start? I remember once or twice with mine if you pressed the stop/start button to turn the engine and ignition off, if you accidentally press the button again (i.e turning the ignition on), the doors don't lock from the outside. I remember walking back from a shop to see my rear wiper going, and finding out that not only was the car unlocked, but the rear wiper and radio were on! From that point, I always looked round when pressing the lock button to make sure the indicators flashed!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Lucky escape there, perhaps it was just a rat that had a go through all your particulars

I must admit I'm one of the OCD types, I lock it, hear it lock, watch it flash, then push the lock button again a few times just ot make sure.

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,449 Posts
One of those experiences you learn from.
I'm sure that you'll not do it again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts