Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
New to the forum so this is my 1st post.

Have purchased a very nice frost white 58 plate ST-3 with most extras on it. It has the touch screen DVD navigation with it.

My main question is, whilst looking around the vehicle in the dealers I asked where the DVD Navigation disc was and was met with a startled glare of " What the hell is that" !! Salesman really didn't have a clue so I sat down to read the owners manual.

In here it mentions any upgrade or problem to return to the dealer ( obviously so they can charge you more money ! ) !!!

Could someone confirm : Do you / Should you, have the Navigation Disc supplied with the vehicle or is it back to the main dealer to re load if you encounter a problem ????

Many thanks

Mark

·
Registered
552 Posts
sat nav disk is located behind the volume control.

basically you remove the volume control/button

then you will notice the panel behind it is separate from the rest of the fascia.

gently prise it forward and it will pop out.. and inside there will be the DVD disk... you cant remove it though without holding menu and nav buttons which takes you into a hidden menu, where you can enter the units keycode to eject the disk.

dvdsatnav.jpg
©Copyright, Ford Motor Company 1994 - 2010

Reason its listed as a dealer job is because there are usually software updates on the disk as well for the dvd sat nav headunit, as well as the map updates.. and when installing this cannot be interupted as there is a possibility of ending up with a bricked headunit.. ford even have a note on their Etis system saying,

"Do NOT abort this process and do NOT change the ignition key position."

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(RB2004 @ 9 Jan 2010, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>sat nav disk is located behind the volume control.

basically you remove the volume control/button

then you will notice the panel behind it is separate from the rest of the fascia.

gently prise it forward and it will pop out.. and inside there will be the DVD disk... you cant remove it though without holding menu and nav buttons which takes you into a hidden menu, where you can enter the units keycode to eject the disk.

View attachment 36173

Reason its listed as a dealer job is because there are usually software updates on the disk as well for the dvd sat nav headunit, as well as the map updates.. and when installing this cannot be interupted as there is a possibility of ending up with a bricked headunit.. ford even have a note on their Etis system saying,

"Do NOT abort this process and do NOT change the ignition key position."

Thank you both for the prompt reply and photo.

My Sat Nav is different to the one in the photo ( think mine may be the newer model perhaps ! ) so could you say if it is still the same idea re being hidden ?

I don't pick the car up til the 18th so am unable to provide further info / pics sorry ( reason for my posting is if it should have the disc and it doesn't, then I want the dealer to provide one if possible ! )

Any further advice gratefully received !!

·
Registered
13,922 Posts
yep it is the same. Just make sure the sat nav works as richard said and it will be already loaded, you leave the disc in.

·
Registered
552 Posts
QUOTE(Gixermark @ 9 Jan 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thank you both for the prompt reply and photo.

My Sat Nav is different to the one in the photo ( think mine may be the newer model perhaps ! ) so could you say if it is still the same idea re being hidden ?

I don't pick the car up til the 18th so am unable to provide further info / pics sorry ( reason for my posting is if it should have the disc and it doesn't, then I want the dealer to provide one if possible ! )

Any further advice gratefully received !!

its the same dvd satnav unit, but that one shown is from a c-max or galaxy, may even be a new mondeo.

They just change the front fascia to suite whichever car it is being installed in, because when you order a replacement its a bare unit and you actually have to remove the silver fascia from the old unit and screw it onto the new 1.

but the buttons etc you will notice are all the same.

only way you can check on the forecourt that all is working fine, is to try it.. if the nav works then you have the disk:) because it wont work without it.
make sure you do have it though!.. its around £300 to buy the latest disk lol.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Brilliant ......... Thanks all for your helpful and friendly advice and putting my mind at rest.......... I can sleep well tonight not worrying about the bleedin disc !!!!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Gixermark / RB2004,

Great info on the SAT NAV

This is the same style as I have installed in my 58 ST3 - how can I tell who the manufacturer is so that I can try and obtain an updated map DVD ?!?

Many Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(seanyb @ 22 Jan 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Gixermark / RB2004,

Great info on the SAT NAV

This is the same style as I have installed in my 58 ST3 - how can I tell who the manufacturer is so that I can try and obtain an updated map DVD ?!?

Many Thanks

Seanyb .... I'm trying to find out who my manufacturer is as well so if anyone can help please : We need to know how to find the make & also how to eject the darn disc so we can look what version we have !!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Blaupunkt unit,

facelift uses a blaupunkt version which should have a silver fascia... but it should be recognisable from the layout of the buttons above. Above is the blaupunkt unit, with the DVD disk inside the unit, behind the removavle fascia.

to eject the disk on blaupunkt you hold Nav and Menu buttons, it will then go into a secret menu.. where you select Eject Disk, then enter the units pin code.. remembering to remove the front removable panel first lol.

pre-facelift uses denso... which looks like this,

on the Denso unit the dvd disk as far as i know is located in the glovebox.. there might be an eject button on the separate drive.. otherwise theres a secret menu where, you hold the Menu button for about 10 seconds.. then theres supposed to be a bleep.
then enter the pin 6414 if i can remember correctly... if it comes up incorrect pin.. do not try it any further, as you may end up with a locked unit. Dunno if theres an eject option in there, but its a diagnostic menu.

Please note,

Map Updates - Navigation System - Vehicles with DVD Navigation System with Touchscreen
NOTE: Only trained Ford technicians are permitted to perform map updates.
In order to perform the update, the front cover needs to be taken off to gain access to the road data DVD for the navigation system.

not sure if you can get the denso disks now, but the blaupunkt ones look like this,

arent cheap eigther @ around £300 lol
I was going to update mine to the 2009 version, but figured they are probably bringing out a 2010 version very soon if its not already out so im going to leave it a while.

Best time to update would be shortly before the Mk3 3rd generation focus comes out.
because that will give you the latest version before the possibility of ford stopping the disks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
QUOTE(RB2004 @ 22 Jan 2010, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>facelift uses a blaupunkt version which should have a silver fascia... but it should be recognisable from the layout of the buttons above. Above is the blaupunkt unit, with the DVD disk inside the unit, behind the removavle fascia.

to eject the disk on blaupunkt you hold Nav and Menu buttons, it will then go into a secret menu.. where you select Eject Disk, then enter the units pin code.. remembering to remove the front removable panel first lol.

pre-facelift uses denso... which looks like this,

on the Denso unit the dvd disk as far as i know is located in the glovebox.. there might be an eject button on the separate drive.. otherwise theres a secret menu where, you hold the Menu button for about 10 seconds.. then theres supposed to be a bleep.
then enter the pin 6414 if i can remember correctly... if it comes up incorrect pin.. do not try it any further, as you may end up with a locked unit. Dunno if theres an eject option in there, but its a diagnostic menu.

Please note,

Map Updates - Navigation System - Vehicles with DVD Navigation System with Touchscreen
NOTE: Only trained Ford technicians are permitted to perform map updates.
In order to perform the update, the front cover needs to be taken off to gain access to the road data DVD for the navigation system.

Cheers Matey!

I want to take the DVD out, back it up and see if the backup will work in the unit - to protect my original from becoming damaged of course

Cheers,
Sean.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(seanyb @ 22 Jan 2010, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Cheers Matey!

I want to take the DVD out, back it up and see if the backup will work in the unit - to protect my original from becoming damaged of course

Cheers,
Sean.

Be careful Sean ... I do believe you can trash the head unit if the disc you put in doesn't fully load / software etc .... so may just be worth seeing what the disc is then putting it straight back in .... that's what I'm gonna do !!!

Thanks RB2004 for the info .... gonna give it a go now !

·
Registered
552 Posts
As said previously.. do be carefull.. its listed as a dealer operation for a reason lol.. because theres a certain amount of risk involved which can result in a bricked headunit.. especially if the unit looses power for any reason or the update fails.

Not sure also how easy it is to backup the dvd disk, because it has security protection built in like on some software/dvd films to purposely stop people from making copies.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Cheers Guys - Don't worry, I'll be careful

I have ejected the DVD with the instructions detailed above - thanks

The DVD says it is Blaupunkt DVD Navigation Europe 2008.

In the HW/SW versions screen the following is listed:

MAIN_VER_SW .......... 0433_080310
REG_VERSION .......... DI_SWNAVI6.4C1P7.3
NAV_VER_SW ........... N0967VF_6.4C1P7.3

I don't have a clue what the above versions relate to (WRT version 5 etc) - is this version 6.4 / 7.3 ?!?

Anyway, I will have a look at the DVD and see what if anything can back it up.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I will try shortly and see how it goes, then feedback.

also if you can backup your disk could you let me know? id be interested in how its done.

Thanks

·
Registered
552 Posts
hi, got the update, burned it to a cd.. and run it.

Took just over 20 minutes or so to update but i now have the latest version.

was running version 7. something before.. now got version 9. something.

Its also added the signal strength bar which i didnt have before lol.

Update is just for the headunit software, not the maps.. still running 2008, but waiting for ford to bring out 2010 if its not already available then i wil upgrade the maps as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts