Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Just a quickie...

went to my local Sainsburys today and purchased some fabric conditioner...the price on the shelf clearly stated £1.96 but when we got to the checkout the product flashed up as £2.00, when I questioned this the checkout girl stated it was because of the VAT increase.
I stated to the girl that the VAT increase came into effect on January the 1st and today is the 9th with this she calls the manager who states the same thing about the VAT and that there are infact signs to back this up.
I went to find this sign which was by the entrance which states that all there prices may ring up different to what they are advertised at because they havent completed all the labels with the new prices but they will have it completed by January the 28th!

I know it sounds petty but surely this is illegal, I thought a shop couldnt sell a product higher than the advertised price?
I just walked off and got it from Tescos which sold it at the price it was advertised at

CIA

Nick

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if they have a sign up to cover there ass i surpose there in the right.
also i noticed all my direct debits have gone up but im 99% sure the sods didnt go down.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I think the sign at front of the store probably covered them legally as you can't claim there was no warning of the differences. I've seen them at many places since the change, as I did when VAT came down.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
all these shops and especially petrol stations are quick enough to put all the prices up,but not very quick when they come down,

robbin
's

just look how long it takes for fuel to go down when crude oil prices crash!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
QUOTE(morty1970 @ 9 Jan 2010, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a quickie...
went to my local Sainsburys today and purchased some fabric conditioner...the price on the shelf clearly stated £1.96 but when we got to the checkout the product flashed up as £2.00, when I questioned this the checkout girl stated it was because of the VAT increase.
I stated to the girl that the VAT increase came into effect on January the 1st and today is the 9th with this she calls the manager who states the same thing about the VAT and that there are infact signs to back this up.
I went to find this sign which was by the entrance which states that all there prices may ring up different to what they are advertised at because they havent completed all the labels with the new prices but they will have it completed by January the 28th!

I know it sounds petty but surely this is illegal, I thought a shop couldnt sell a product higher than the advertised price?
I just walked off and got it from Tescos which sold it at the price it was advertised at

CIA

Nick

All this for 4p mate

how much did it cost you in fuel to go to tescos???

if they had signs up saying this i think they have covered themselves though, i suppose it would taken ages to change all the labels in the shop to reflex the 17.5% rise.

how much was it in tescos by the way lol

·
Registered
174 Posts
Word from Sainsburys(my partner works for them and she know her stuff on this) Over the phone she told that if a price is listed on the self and with a no valid untill on the label they should sell it for the shown price OR remove all items from the shelf. she also said They also have the right to refuse the sale. The VAT INCREASE is no excuse her store managed to change there prices in a night as she said they were all printed ages ago Although the system adds the vat increase up really werid on your recepit but the prices are all right(/bill total correct).

Think ive got that right ill get her to reply if iam totaly wrong.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Again the store has it right on this one...... as GTjunior stats the store can refuse the sale if you don't agree with the conidtions . Also, believe or not the price on the shelf is an indication and the price can be changed after you have selected the said item of the shelf and before you have paid for it. However the store does have an morale obligation with customer services in mind.....

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok peeps,thanks for the replies.

I only walked off because of the managers attitude, she wasnt very helpful.

It wasnt a superstore,it was one of the smaller ones.

We had to go to Tescos for fuel anyway so it wasnt inconvenient and it was a 'bit' cheaper

Still think its a
cheek...how long does it take to change the labels in a small
shop,theyve known for a whole
year it was gonna happen....rant over

Nick

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(Trist @ 9 Jan 2010, 06:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The government gives shops up to 2 weeks to change advertised prices, so legally Sainsburys are correct

Did they I wasn't aware of this, if this is the case then the usual rules in regard to the advertising of goods at price etc do not apply. Cant find anything on it though.

OP

You should remember that there is little contract in this relationship, the display of the goods is simply nvitatio ad offerendum, or an invitation to treat, the contract forms only at the point of payment. This is of course separate to the legislation requiring accurate and not misleading pricing, though a quick check of that show that there is provision for the increase in price solely due to an increase of a statutory nature being exclude.

In terms of the sign at the entrance it may be enough to cover the store, though given that they have had over a year to prepare I would doubt that any court would find it fair and equitable to do so.

So 4p, well even in the 6 minutes that took me there's a bill on the way for £35 lol

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
QUOTE(jonn @ 9 Jan 2010, 06:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>you should have snapped there hand off
the correct price with the aditional 2.5% vat should be £2.01

how much was it at tesco
i bet it was probably dearer, tesco is so over rated imo
and not particulary cheap

No sorry

The Net price, would be £1.70 ie the £ 1.96 less 15% therefore the price of £1.70 plus 17.5% would be £2.00

·
Registered
976 Posts
QUOTE(Si @ 9 Jan 2010, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Did they I wasn't aware of this, if this is the case then the usual rules in regard to the advertising of goods at price etc do not apply. Cant find anything on it though

I heard it on Radio 2 this week on the drive home show.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The law allows stores 28 days to change their prices on the shelves. You have a point though, price changes should of been done a bit quicker but head office issue these price increases to the stores for us to print tickets and my store has over 35,000 products to change prices on so does takes longer than you think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.