Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed what appears to be rust creeping through the seem around the aperture for the left hand boot hinge. Right hand hinge looks fine. The car will be four years old next month, has always been serviced by Ford so I am praying like hell that the 12-year anti-perforation warranty will cover it. Having said that, I'm not sure how you would go about repairing this. Heres a couple of pics, what do you think?

·
Registered
825 Posts
normally the paint warrenty is for corrosion from the "inside out", and not the "outside in" ie wont cover surface damage that causes rust... see what the dealer says

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has been no surface damage in that area though. It looks like moisture has penetrated the seam causing rust which has then worked it's way out under the paint. Whether it's from the inside or the outside though, who's to say? I would contest that the rust is emanating from inside the seam, but no doubt Ford wont see it that way.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Are all the stamps up to date in the bodywork section of the service book?

This is often carried out as an addition to a regular service and not done unless you ask for it!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Will not be covered, as it is not perforated (got a hole in it) also these policies often only cover certain box sections not not every panel.

I would however argue that the warrenty is not an issue (assuming oyu got it form new) got to the selling garage and advise the car is not fit for purpose, a 4 year old car shoudl not have rust coming through

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 25 Feb 2010, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are all the stamps up to date in the bodywork section of the service book?

This is often carried out as an addition to a regular service and not done unless you ask for it!

Yes, the body checks are all stamped up correctly so that shouldn't be a problem.

QUOTE(Dennis @ 26 Feb 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will not be covered, as it is not perforated (got a hole in it) also these policies often only cover certain box sections not not every panel.

I would however argue that the warrenty is not an issue (assuming oyu got it form new) got to the selling garage and advise the car is not fit for purpose, a 4 year old car shoudl not have rust coming through

I have had the car from new, and there's been no accident repairs or anything like that. The perforation warranty does cover everywhere but is very specific in that it states the corrosion must come from inside and must be due to a manufacturing defect. Whilst they could argue it's not a perforation yet, if it is left alone it will turn into one. The question is is it a manufacturing defect? I'd say yes. Is it coming from the inside? That could quite easily be debated.

I'll run it into the dealer on Monday and see what they say.

Anyone aware of this problem having occurred before?

·
Administrator
Mk2 RS MP350
24,448 Posts
There should be sealant in that seam so this is a manufacturing defect.
This is a known problem that is shown quite clearly in the buyers guide (albeit that the issue arising tends to be water ingress into the car).

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
If it were me and I know a good paint shop I woudl get a price form them first and give that to fraud, i would not trust a main dealer to paint my car (I am barred from about 6 bodyshops around my area due to me complaining re the quality of their work.

Most stealers do not have their own bodyshops these days so depending on your stealer the quality can be a lottery.

If you can get it done for £150 or so I would still go for that and pay myself than let fraud have a play

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(Dennis @ 27 Feb 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If it were me and I know a good paint shop I woudl get a price form them first and give that to fraud, i would not trust a main dealer to paint my car (I am barred from about 6 bodyshops around my area due to me complaining re the quality of their work.

Most stealers do not have their own bodyshops these days so depending on your stealer the quality can be a lottery.

If you can get it done for £150 or so I would still go for that and pay myself than let fraud have a play

The problem is I don't know any body shop I can trust. My Dad restores old cars to a very high standard so that would be my preferred option (hes's used to sorting rust) but neither him, nor I, have enough space to be arsing around removing the tailgate. It's a big old piece to handle. Plus the repair wont be the work of a moment so the car would have to be kept indoors.

My Ford dealer does still have its own body shop but I've no idea how good they are.

QUOTE(Alb @ 27 Feb 2010, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have a little look at THIS thread.

Thanks Alb, seems to be related to the leak problem. Although noone seems to have the rust and I haven't got a water leak.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Been in to the dealer today. The bodyshop manager took some snaps to send off to Ford. Hopefully they will authorise a repair soon.

Anybody want to take a guess at how they ought to go about repairing this properly? As the corrosion is in a joint it's going to be mighty tricky to do something that will last.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Car went in to the dealer yesterday, they have repaired it under warranty. They have spot blasted the joint, used some chemical that draws up into the joint to neutralize the corrosion, sealed and repainted. All done under warranty with no quibbles. I wasn't convinced they'd be interested in a four year old car, but fair play to Ford, no attempt to worm out of it. They were keen to see that the body inspection service stamps, which is understandable. Finger crossed it doesn't reappear.

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
Fair play to ford

But if they simply used the lack of a body inspection stamp as a basis to repudiate the claim I woudl have complained/sued

Pleased you got it sorted and the stealer has a decent bodyshop who have dom ethe job properly

1 - 14 of 14 Posts