Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations to restore my rubber window trim on my ST3 I picked up yesterday.

I'm guessing there's a product I can apply to get it back to black?

Pic below:
Window Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Thanks a lot.

Premium Member
Alan St500
Hello,

I'm looking for recommendations to restore my rubber window trim on my ST3 I picked up yesterday.

I'm guessing there's a product I can apply to get it back to black?

Pic below:
View attachment 909614

Thanks a lot.
Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer for Car and Vehicle Trim, Revitalises Tired, Faded, Discoloured Plastic and Rubber, Easy to Apply - 15ml (Sufficient for 1 Small-Medium Car) https://amzn.eu/d/c38Bnq9 not cheap but it 100% works and lasts for at least 2 years so far 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Registered
I've seen similar posts to the OP on Detailing World. Not saying they have done the same but I've seen similar myself. It's usually the result from either cheap hand car washes that use strong TFR, not rinsed off fully and left to dry. I've seen this from Bilt Hamber Surfex HD on rubber and gloss black trim. It turns milky, leaves residue and can be a pain to get off. If I remember correctly, some APCs, not 100% sure on Surfex HD, are not free rinsing. I know Auto Foam isn't. They lower the surface tension of the water, meaning you need a pressure washer to break that tension and rinse off. It won't rinse off with a hose, resulting in the product remaining, drying out and staining. People only need to be using a 1-2% mix for bodywork, a small section at one time and rinse off fully. No need for it to be used every wash, except on tyres. A 10:1 mix is safe for cleaning tyres and rubber but a small section at a time and rinse off fully. These products can dry out quickly, which is where problems occur. I've spoke to Bilt Hamber about this.

As for previous comments, WD40 can work, also good on tar spots and glue/sticker residue. Ideally it needs stripping back, something like Gtechniq W5 as mentioned and then dressed. Personally I use CarPro Perl at 1:1. Garage Therapy Tyre Serum is another highly regarded product for tyres and rubber.

Don't be using WD40/GT85 or Silicone Spray (unless Mineral Oil free) on rubber hoses, door seals, wiper blades etc as a dressing, which some recommended.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts