Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI peeps. anybody tried fitting RS tail pipe trims on an
. Desperatly want bigger pipes but cant afford a system, cause ****** jaws has stole all my funds for the ankle biters!!
I know they look wider but i think they taper in towards the back and might fit. Think they cost £30 quid each from fraud. Cheers STingy

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The RS pipes come out of the back box in a different place than the ST.
You can see on all RS wear a cap has been placed to cover the old ST holes.
I would have though rather than cutting and welding the back box it would be easier and cheaper to buy a new after market back box, eg Piper Or Magnex!

Edit: to get the ST exhust tip off you would have to hacksaw them! I don't think anyone knows if aftermarket tips would fit on stubs left behind after the hacksaw!

Their's only one way to find out, I will let you be the one to try this out!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'm not sure if they are part of the backbox mate and I'm sure the backbox is about 300 quid or something daft.

Anyone know if the Mongoose tips can clamp onto a standard ST backbox if the OE tailpipes are hacksawed off? I think these are about 70 or 80 quid and there arre a few choice of tailpipes

Chris

·
FocusSTOC Nut!
17,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im just talkin about the chrome trims guys. dont the st one's just tap off with a hammer? then would the rs one's fit? or are the trims spot welded on?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you stingy, want a meaner look but dont want to splash out on a whole new back box as of yet!

I'm sure a hacksaw and a welder would do the trick.

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
QUOTE(Paulted @ 9 Dec 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The RS has a larger bore than the ST so they wont fit like all the after market ones too.
Don't think it's that easy a job to neatly chop off the standatd tailpipes and then try to graft some others on there.

By the time you've chopped the standard system up to get it off the car you'd be better off just fitting an aftermarket cat-back I'd say, you could end up with a backbox you can't use after cutting the ends off then hitting problems getting the RS ends to fit. Especially as I'm sure too that they're not available on their own.

I think that trying to fit aftermarket tailpipes to the standard backbox wouldn't work either - the standard outlets exit out ot the backbox then bend back on themselves so there's not actually that much straight section behind there to join to if you wanted to graft on some aftermarket ends either. If you see some photos of the standard backbox compared to the length of sleeves on aftermarket pipes you'll see.

·
Registered
12,119 Posts
Dont laugh at the pic its all i had

Cant tell for certain what the bore size of the pipe from the actual back box is but the angles etc look a lotdifferent from the ST set up but im sure a bit of a play with a hack saw and welder could provide you with what your looking for

And there are also plenty of after market alternative tail tips available

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
QUOTE(bully09 @ 10 Dec 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And me!!!

soon as i have the loader defuser i don't like the tail pipes with it
, so we held up a set of the mongoose rs tail pipes and they realy gave the look i was looking for
. So i asked gary to get me some made, now a few people would like them. Lets get a list going

1/ nigst

·
Registered
327 Posts
[quote name='nigst' date='10 Dec 2009, 05:13 PM' post='625276']
soon as i have the loader defuser i don't like the tail pipes with it
, so we held up a set of the mongoose rs tail pipes and they realy gave the look i was looking for
. So i asked gary to get me some made, now a few people would like them. Lets get a list going

1/ nigst
2/ bully

1 - 20 of 31 Posts