Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well im running CP320 and have a trackday coming up in February so was going to fit one, but i have also seen the dreamscience one which has a thermostat that would be better for when its on the road, but its nearly 3 times the price!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I have one on mine purely as a safety thing as I'm running 330bhp and I want the car to be as reliable as possible. I can say its almost twice the size o the ST one.
I've seen the DS oil cooler and its a great piece of kit but I think personally unless you do a lot of track days its not worth while.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much cooler does it make the oil though? At the moment mine sits between 80-90oC on the gauge depending how its driven. Where does yours sit at?

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Well im running CP320 and have a trackday coming up in February so was going to fit one, but i have also seen the dreamscience one which has a thermostat that would be better for when its on the road, but its nearly 3 times the price!
Check the classifieds mate. Jon is selling his for 280 notes.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
The idea is not to cool the oil more, it's to be able to cool it enough when used hard for extended periods. Stop it overheating.

I have an RS oil cooler on mine and later will fit a better radiator for increased cooling efficiency and capacity, rather than a complicated oil cooler setup that does almost nothing if you have no air flow unless driving at speed. The coolant thermostat regulates water temp by flow rate and increased cooling capability is only used if needed, but gives the system headroom for more thermal shock from the oil. The RS cooler allows a better heat transfer from oil to coolant as it has a larger heat exchanging area than the stock one.

I'd prefer to keep temps stable at low load or high load rather than overcooling it or complicating the system too much.

If you have a dedicated track car, yes, go all out with it, but for a daily driver, why do it? The RS cooler and a better radiator will be a nice package that's no more complicated than standard.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Robbo, its a road car that will see the odd trackday, my biggest worry was it struggling to get the oil upto temp when using it on the road with a bigger cooler

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Cheers Robbo, its a road car that will see the odd trackday, my biggest worry was it struggling to get the oil upto temp when using it on the road with a bigger cooler
I'm sure I saw Andy (fishy) mention that the RS cooler helps the oil get up to temperature as well

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
how much cooler does it make the oil though? At the moment mine sits between 80-90oC on the gauge depending how its driven. Where does yours sit at?
It does not make your oil any cooler. It is not designed to do so. It maintains the cars optimum working oil temp easier under harsher conditions. It allows your engine oil to get up to working temp quicker also. Its about making your car able to cope with more power. Power creates heat as a by-product. This heat has to be discippated somewhere. It goes into your oil, into your coolant and under your bonnet in convection. (That is why the RS has bonnet vents). The coolant soaks the majority of heat away with the oil taking a fair share too. Maintaining the correct oil temp is crucial, as oil has an optimum working temp, at which it does its job best. Equipping your car with a RS oil cooler will make its job easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts