Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bore da !

My clutch is slipping like mad at the moment, and i'm looking to upgrade to the RS running gear in the next month or two.

The question is... Is there a place in South Wales where i could get it done cheaper than Pumabuilds current offer of £800?

I understand Pumabuild is near Birmingham(?) Therefore that's a tank of fuel taking the total price up to £850 ish.

Thank you

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Hi Martin,
You just beat me to this topic mate. I think my clutch has also just started slipping
. I noticed it on Friday night after pulling off from the Severn Bridge tolls. My clutch peddle also seems to be biting a little higher than normal too. I'll enquire with my local Ford dealer (D.G. Weaver, Ton Pentre) in the next few days and will let you know what price they come back with.

I'll also contact D.G. Weaver, Llandow to see if we can get any discount (following Amanda's recent negotiations).

... It's gonna be expensive

BTW, how many miles has your car done? Mine's done 43,000

Ian.

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
O no not you 2 as well .....I hope this isn't the start of spate of them like the alternators

I not 100%sure mine is as it was only happening in 5th & 6th under very heavy acceleration and was when the roads were a bit icy so I am praying for the latter.

I would give DG Weaver Llandow a call as per my post and don't forget the discount code. Please let us know how their prices fair ....... remember the discount they will give you is for paid up owner members so please post price in the owner members section or PM me.

Could you ask if they offer buy 2 get 1 free ... Mine being the free

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My local Ford Dealer (D.G. Weavers) quoted me yesterday £836.33 for just the RS clutch plate and fly wheel. That's without the slave cylinder, thrust bearing etc. or labour, but at least the clutch is a genuine Ford clutch. I don't think the one's that Pumabuild and Profile are offering are genuine Ford parts. Maybe that's why they are so cheap.

Does anyone know what kind of warranty comes with the Pumabuild clutch kit?

I'm also waiting for a price from my local garage (New Road Garage). The owner also has a Focus ST (EO) and is also an enthusiast, but unfortunately isn't a member on here.

I'll have a price tomorrow.

Ian.

·
Registered
293 Posts
QUOTE(flower66 @ 3 Feb 2010, 11:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My local Ford Dealer (D.G. Weavers) quoted me yesterday £836.33 for just the RS clutch plate and fly wheel. That's without the slave cylinder, thrust bearing etc. or labour, but at least the clutch is a genuine Ford clutch. I don't think the one's that Pumabuild and Profile are offering are genuine Ford parts. Maybe that's why they are so cheap.

Does anyone know what kind of warranty comes with the Pumabuild clutch kit?

I'm also waiting for a price from my local garage (New Road Garage). The owner also has a Focus ST (EO) and is also an enthusiast, but unfortunately isn't a member on here.

I'll have a price tomorrow.

Ian.

Factor in the price of the other parts and their hidious labour charges and your looking at the best part of £1600 Double that of Pumabuild.Id take the risk with Pumabuild and if its not the genuine RS clutch it will be one which is rated equally upto the job.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Ok, here's a question for you all. Is the genuine Ford Focus RS clutch exactly the same as the Ford Focus ST clutch? I spoke to my local Ford Dealer earlier today and they told me that they'd checked and could confirm that they are exactly the same (same finis codes). The fly wheel is different though (probably lighter on the RS), but they were adamant that the Ford clutch plates are the same.
They also told me that the price for the genuine Ford replacement kit is £242.00 (+ approx. 5 hours labour). They asked me to call over to speak to them tomorrow and they'd confirm the total cost. So after I've been there I'll let you all know what the total damage will be for supply and fit (using genuine Ford parts).

I may give a couple of other garages a call tomorrow to get comparison quotes from them.

I'm trying to avoid the journey all the way up the M5, but I think the Pumabuild option is looking more and more likely

Ian.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
QUOTE(flower66 @ 4 Feb 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, here's a question for you all. Is the genuine Ford Focus RS clutch exactly the same as the Ford Focus ST clutch? I spoke to my local Ford Dealer earlier today and they told me that they'd checked and could confirm that they are exactly the same (same finis codes). The fly wheel is different though (probably lighter on the RS), but they were adamant that the Ford clutch plates are the same.
They also told me that the price for the genuine Ford replacement kit is £242.00 (+ approx. 5 hours labour). They asked me to call over to speak to them tomorrow and they'd confirm the total cost. So after I've been there I'll let you all know what the total damage will be for supply and fit (using genuine Ford parts).

I may give a couple of other garages a call tomorrow to get comparison quotes from them.

I'm trying to avoid the journey all the way up the M5, but I think the Pumabuild option is looking more and more likely

Ian.

Ian, call Gary at profile automotive, i'm sure he has all the answers.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(flower66 @ 4 Feb 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Ok, here's a question for you all. Is the genuine Ford Focus RS clutch exactly the same as the Ford Focus ST clutch? I spoke to my local Ford Dealer earlier today and they told me that they'd checked and could confirm that they are exactly the same (same finis codes). The fly wheel is different though (probably lighter on the RS), but they were adamant that the Ford clutch plates are the same.

Ian.

Interesting..

I wish I had the tools and knowledge how to do this job. The bulk of the cost is the labour

·
Registered
249 Posts
Profile Automotive DO use genuine Ford parts, the RS clutch plate is the same as the ST one, its the pressure plate which you get along with the clutch plate which is different, here are the finis numbers:

RS Clutch - 1670062
RS Flywheel - 15775135
and while your at it get a Clutch Slave Cylinder & Bearing - 1599267

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
QUOTE(dave.prewett @ 5 Feb 2010, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just a quickie,how many miles are you guy's doing? Mines done 24k just wondering how long I've got to go until mine needs replacing?

mines on 34k and still ok.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i can safely say profile do use the ford parts as i seen mine go in the pressure plate and the DMF is diffrent and if your having clutch probs change the DMF also!! also feels alot diffrent actually feeld like there is a real clutch there lol also why its in bits get the LSD lol they do a top job aswell car wont go anywhere else now....

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Its a good point , if/when mine goes ,think I'd seriously think about the LSD at the same time.
But it would mean a trip either to Pumaspeed or Profile automotive.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Mine's done 43,000 now, and the clutch started slipping last Friday

My local Ford dealer (D.G. Weavers) are giving me the run around. I have to go back there on Monday to talk to their "expert" who will tell me everything I need to know about the type of cluth I need. They told me today that changing a clutch on an ST takes 4.8 hours, and the labour charge is £59 per hour. So the replacement Focus ST clutch kit costs £298, plus the labour charge of £295 = £593

For the extra £200 you get a much more solid clutch that is capable of coping with the extra torque. Problem is that Pumabuild and Profile are so damb far away from where I live (South Wales).

Ian.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Come on Ian,it's Valentines day soon. Make a weekend of it and take the Mrs with you and stay in a nice hotel and relax whilst the car's being fixed.lol

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
QUOTE(dave.prewett @ 5 Feb 2010, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Come on Ian,it's Valentines day soon. Make a weekend of it and take the Mrs with you and stay in a nice hotel and relax whilst the car's being fixed.lol

He's got a point you know !!

Pumabuild in Birmingham I think so not too far away.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts