Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been putting of replacing my slipping clutch for 6 months now, but the time has come to replace it.
My dillema is im no where near any of the forum supporters so im gunna have to go with my local garage who i feel do a good job.
So ill be ordering the kit for delivery, anyway the wife drives the car daily and shes tiny! 5foot like a twig, i was going to go with the rs kit as its a good few hundred quid less than kalmars AP kit, however everyone sais the pedal is heavier/stiffer with the rs kit. My young honey will not like that one bit. can anyone give me an idea or try to explain how different it really feels? Otherwise ill have to take the plunge and spend extra on the AP kit as ive heard it feels as good as the standard clutch.
Oh what to do, any thoughts welcomed?

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,228 Posts
Yes the RS clutch feels heavier, but only for a couple of days. You soon get used to it and others have posted that their Wives/GFs have had no issues adapting. to it.

I was considering the Volvo clutch and the single mass flywheel, but for road use I concluded that the RS kit was the way to go.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
The RS clutch is fine some just find the bite a bit more positive for a few days but I got used to it pretty quickly.

The single mass flywheels can be noisy at idle

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys i was worried about noise with the single mass flywheel. So ill order up the rs kit once ive worked out who is cheapest for supply only. do i need to purchase anything else with the kit ie bolts or bits? Cheers

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
Thanks guys i was worried about noise with the single mass flywheel. So ill order up the rs kit once ive worked out who is cheapest for supply only. do i need to purchase anything else with the kit ie bolts or bits? Cheers
Parts box have 15% off everything at the mo.
You ca get the whole kit for just over £550 delivered.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,228 Posts
why not find someone close to you that has an rs clutch fitted and see if they will allow you and your mrs to try it out.
I have to say that I don't think that this is a good idea. Reason being is that when I picked my car up from Pumabuild after it was fitted I thought 'What have I DONE?' I HATED it for the first journey, but I did not stall it once! Next day was a little better and the third day I hardly noticed it. A lot of people say that this is because the clutch beds in over two or three days, but in reality you just get used to the extra power you have to use on the clutch and before you know it, you have made the adjustment and you wonder what all the fuss is about.

Anyone trying a car with an RS clutch on a 'one-off' basis will probably walk away with the completely wrong impression of what it is like to live with one day in day out.

·
Premium Member
Graham - mk2 stage 3
5,228 Posts
Me too. I think that the SMF is good if you do track days too, but for pure road use I think the RS kit is the way to go.

You will need the complete clutch kit. Clutch pressure plate and cover, the slave cylinder/release bearing and the RS flywheel. The whole caboodle is available as a kit and the club sponsors should give you the best prices. Pumabuild are the cheapest to supply and fit AFAIK at around £750, and JW Racing used to do them supply only for £625 when I was looking for one.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
I once took an
for a test drive which had an
clutch fitted, wanted to test the MP260 before I had it done to mine. Thankfully the salesman didn't tell me it had the RS' clutch, so not really noticing pushed the clutch down, selected reverse, went to release clutch slowly,
soooooooooooo close to stalling but just managed to push it back down so as not to. Looked at the salesman "oh yeh it has an RS clutch which is a bit heavier than the ST" cheers then
. I really didn't take much notice after about 10 mins of driving though, and my car felt soooo squidgy when I got back in it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts