Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well the time has come i need a new clutch
so im getting upgraded to the RS clutch while all this work will be going on is the LSD really worth having whats pros and cons?
does it increase 0-60 times and better for cornering any info great
Liam

·
Registered
107 Posts
QUOTE(LiamX8 @ 24 Dec 2009, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>ok well the time has come i need a new clutch
so im getting upgraded to the RS clutch while all this work will be going on is the LSD really worth having whats pros and cons?
does it increase 0-60 times and better for cornering any info great
Liam

I did it the other way around, I wanted the ATB diff & decided to have an RS clutch at the same time.
Very pleased that I did both, the clutch is a lot more positive and the gearchange is much better.
When I saw the state of my pressure plate, pretty glad it was changed as it didn't look that healthy.

The diff makes a LOT of difference to the ability to put power down from the apex out of the corner.
It will improve standing starts too, although that isn't important to me. If you were lighting-up the inside
front wheel coming out of corners then all that will be cured & it'll be very sure-footed in the wet.

I guess it depends on the kind of driving you do, for the commute it makes next to no difference (unless you're
very late for work). For track days & spirited B road blasts it transforms the car's ability to cover ground, with hind sight
I would say the diff would lower lap times more than a re-map & I wish I'd done it sooner.
The steering is more 'alive' & I love it, I can see why it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea though.
A bit like the Vibratechnics torque mount, there is a trade off.
I'm lucky the ST is a second car, as a driver's car the diff improves it massively.

Profile did the work for me & I can't recommend them enough. They offered a loan car & it was all done 48 hours later.
They put right a few mis-demeanors of previous ownership (they found a cracked hose & broken crank sensor bracket)
on the way, which is why I wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

PROs:
Vastly improved cornering.
A big change for the spend, good value if you intend to keep the car.

CONs:
If you weren't near the limit before, it's now even further away!
A pricey way to improve traffic light starts.
A mod that isn't transferable & unlikely to improve the re-sale value.

Hope that helps,
Jon

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes its alot of money this is why im wondering about it but if i dont ill proberly regret it so prob will be as of the clutch HAS to be done
, thanks for the info jaygee
all revews help (help me spend more money) lol

·
Registered
648 Posts
depends if your track racing or humping it through country lanes

mine feels great now the rs clutch is done

tbh....im not bothered about the lsd any more

different if it was £500 or something...but 1K....too much for my wallet

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
I think Jon has written everything about the LSD that needs saying! All i can add really is that on mine it has actually improved the way the ESP works too! The engine doesnt die as much as it used to when the ESP cut in! If youve got the money definitely get it done with the clutch! The LSD is now my number 1 recommendation as the the best performance mod for an ST!

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Thunder#59 @ 28 Dec 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>depends if your track racing or humping it through country lanes

mine feels great now the rs clutch is done

tbh....im not bothered about the lsd any more

different if it was £500 or something...but 1K....too much for my wallet

is the rs clutch just a direct replacement for the st one ? do you need a new realese bearing or will the same one do ? went in and priced the clutch at ford today £180 for the clutch cover and friction plate that seemed quite cheap to me will it hold alot more power than the standard st one ?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
QUOTE(shug1986 @ 31 Dec 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>is the rs clutch just a direct replacement for the st one ? do you need a new realese bearing or will the same one do ? went in and priced the clutch at ford today £180 for the clutch cover and friction plate that seemed quite cheap to me will it hold alot more power than the standard st one ?

You need to buy the Dual Mass Flywheel as well and some other technical sounding bits which I don't know

Main cost is the labour in fitting it!

·
Registered
699 Posts
QUOTE(Simo @ 31 Dec 2009, 05:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You need to buy the Dual Mass Flywheel as well and some other technical sounding bits which I don't know

Main cost is the labour in fitting it!

was going to get the lightened and balenced flywheel for it , but is the clutch just the same fitment ?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Mines getting replaced this Friday
waiting for Ford to get the parts in, hopefully by tomorrow. My local garage is doing the job for me, they used to do all the work on my Impreza. I was going to save myself a few quid and do it myself, but decided agaisnt it due to the weather. As it stands before any trade discount, its costing me £800 including driveshaft seals, flywheel bolts etc inc fitting. Bring on the tuning when the snow decides to give me a break.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
QUOTE(chrisd @ 5 Jan 2010, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Mines getting replaced this Friday
waiting for Ford to get the parts in, hopefully by tomorrow. My local garage is doing the job for me, they used to do all the work on my Impreza. I was going to save myself a few quid and do it myself, but decided agaisnt it due to the weather. As it stands before any trade discount, its costing me £800 including driveshaft seals, flywheel bolts etc inc fitting. Bring on the tuning when the snow decides to give me a break.

yes i was going to do it myself but i no i havent got the motivation due to the weather and cant be guarenteed in the summer so id rather just pay and be done ith it

also thanks for all the info guys think my st with have a lsd also soon

1 - 15 of 15 Posts