Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have had a 56-plate silver ST-2 3 door for 1 year now and I've noticed that over the last few months the ride quality seems to have deteriorated somewhat. Over rough/uneven surfaces there seems to be alot of cabin vibration -the door cards and drivers window rattle particularly badly
and the dash often thumps/cracks over bigger bumps.
I don't think there are any problems with individual loose bit of trim as the whole car seems to be affected. The ride was prefectly smooth for the first six months of ownership and now I'm noticing bumps and rough patches of road that the car used to just glide over with no problems!

Any ideas if this could be a tyre / suspension related problem?

Loving the
in every other way -performance / engine sound etc!

Cheers for your thoughts....

Tom

·
Registered
24,177 Posts
Its probably worth getting underneath and having a look at the suspension bushes and the shocks! I have heard of bushes wearing out and shock absorber mountings seizing! One of the members had a perished toe arm bush on the rear just the other day! Also check tyre pressures as overinflated tyres can really affect the ride!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Have you changed tyres in that time? Some tyres have much stiffer sidewalls which help handling and feel but sacrifice ride comfort...

·
Registered
314 Posts
QUOTE(fishface31a @ 28 Jan 2010, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its probably worth getting underneath and having a look at the suspension bushes and the shocks! I have heard of bushes wearing out and shock absorber mountings seizing! One of the members had a perished toe arm bush on the rear just the other day! Also check tyre pressures as overinflated tyres can really affect the ride!

Well i read somewhere that you had said that the falken 452's can be bit hard once there over inflated, so i checked and they were, so let them down to 33/34

QUOTE(mbaker @ 28 Jan 2010, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Have you changed tyres in that time? Some tyres have much stiffer sidewalls which help handling and feel but sacrifice ride comfort...

Well the fronts are new falken 452's ad rears are the same as they have been in last 8 months. Fronts were changed 3 month ago, but only just noticed over last 2/3 weeks

·
Registered
611 Posts
Don't forget that in these cold winter months, suspension bushes and tyre sidewalls are less plyable than when warm. Also the oil in shocks is colder and so thicker aswell. All of these can add up to a slightly harsher ride than in the summer months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will definitely have a look at the bushes. Tyre pressures are OK -they tend to be abit lower in cold weather anyhow because the air is more dense, although having said that the jittery ride problem is definitely worse the lower the temp!

I'm wondering if its some weird thing with my driving style that has caused the whole problem as my last motor (Fabia vRS) eventually developed the same issue

·
Registered
314 Posts
Im just sick of everyone listing there problems or faults lol Its contagious

Few months back loads said the cluthc was slipping, month later...clutch slip

This time ive read alot about alternators going... alternator broke last nite.

and now this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts