Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having my rods and pistons changed to RS ones in January. Anything I should know? Performance gains? My car is revo mapped and k&n. will be a decat and de res soon as well!

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Why are you having rods and pistons?

Doesn't really seem like you have many other mods to fully utilise the capabilities of the hardware.

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
Unless you are changing the turbo you will Loose performance with RS rods and pistons due to the lower compression ration I think.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
Unless you have future plans on big power it's not worth while as the only reason to do this would be lower the compression ratio when fitting a larger turbo

·
Kalmar Union
1,301 Posts
The pistons will hold up to arround the 400bhp mark as will the rods with sympathetic mapping.

If you do want to go for higher outputs, 350bhp plus with the larger 'RS' KKK turbo then you might consider the slightly shorter, stronger rods that I stock which will reduce the CR and might contribute to not cracking the block.

Third item from the top here on my website: http://kalmar-union.com/parts/ford-focus-engine/

Regards, Don.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not so much of a mod?!?! More than a necessity. My ST ones the bottom end bearings are shot so I need new ones. I can have then fitted as a kit fairly cheap so went with it! The revo map adds a load as it is! Just makes sense putting stronger ones in!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
If your not going to 350+ bhp your going to drop power in your car due to lower compression I think. ST ones are fine up to Turbo X tune.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
As everyone has said. You'll be decreasing the compression ratio.

You'd be better off fitting st pistons and rods if you don't plan on putting a bigger turbo on

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They are being done by SCC in St. Albans. Pretty sure he knows what he is doing and said they are the best option. The ST ones are a fortune. Just seeing if anyone else had done it? The car makes almost 270bhp and just under 300lb ft as is with revo!

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
People have done it yes. But have fitted larger turbos.

I wouldn't be surprise if you see sub 250 bhp with the lower CR.

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
No offence, but I'd trust the opinions of the people on here more than SCC going from what he's said. Those numbers aren't all special, I make more torque with just a little less BHP

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will have to see how it goes. At the minute I just want the car working! RS pistons are really the only option. The price I have been offered is a steal so it is a means to an end. I have heard good things about rob at SCC so I am sure it will be in safe hands. Just very very rare for the bearings to go. Oil starvation I think? He recommended the RS bits.

Not after numbers. The car is quick as is. Just want it working properly. I have something else for the numbers game!

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
I will have to see how it goes. At the minute I just want the car working! RS pistons are really the only option. The price I have been offered is a steal so it is a means to an end. I have heard good things about rob at SCC so I am sure it will be in safe hands. Just very very rare for the bearings to go. Oil starvation I think? He recommended the RS bits.

Not after numbers. The car is quick as is. Just want it working properly. I have something else for the numbers game!
The usual one is either a broken oil pickup pipe or poor maintainence.
I don't know SCC so cannot comment but personally. I'd be speaking with him again and explaining that you don't want to fit a larger turbo in the future. Yes your car will run but it'll be flatter than a kippers
. You also have to bear in mind your map is written for the higher CR the ST has. Who knows what lowering it could be doing to your AFR's

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think poor maintenance! I have only just got the car so pretty rowdy. I will ask him when I next see him. The car is not going in until jan 2nd. I have been there three times now and the seem to know what they are talking about. There demo car is a monster RS so they seem to know there stuff. Being thick what is AFR's

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I've just had new RS rods and pistons fitted Dave, infact i'm still running it all in.

This is just about the final mod to do imo, everything else has been in prep for this and the larger turbo upgrade.

I cant imagine starting the other way around, will your final mod be eibachs lol

1 - 20 of 44 Posts