Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi all

The wife purchased a 20 extension cable from argos,so we can get a phoneline to the sky box to watch anytime. anywayI binned the instructions that came with it as I thought it was prefitted.

As you can see from the photo, which colours match up to the numbers, I have googled it and its say 2 red 3 blue 4green 5 white I done this but not joy. Do I need to bear the cable to expose the copper wire or does the screw break the cable to make connectivity. I tried both and failed

If anyone could shed some light on the would be grateful

Thanks Circuit component Electrical wiring Automotive lighting Grass Battery charger

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
2 - Blue/White
3 - Orange/White
4 - White/Orange
5 - White/Blue

Although it seems you have non-standard colours....so not entirely sure! You need to bare the ends of the cables, that might be your problem.

EDIT:

This should be the way round they go:

2 - White
3 - Green
4 - Blue
5 - Red

What you have there is telephone flex (normally used for socket to phone), not telephone cable, hence the colours are different.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Sean for the fast reply,

When i thread bare the cables and put them into the hole and tight the screw it does not bite and comes lose, but I will attempt again

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
I would suggest baring a little more cable then doubling it back on itself so it's twice as thick. Normal telephone cable is solid so you don't get that problem, but it's more expensive which is why I imagine your kit has telephone flex instead. The best solution would be to tin the ends with solder which would stop them from fraying, depends on time and handiness with a soldering iron!

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
normally 2 & 5 are used for the telephone line assuming your incoming line is set up that particular way. other way is to use a multimeter checking the continuity also there should be about 48vdc present.

The continuity should read 00.5 ohms if its made circuit

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers guys

well I don't own a solder so doubling aback a few times will have to be the option,

But the copper is so frail and with my not so delicate hands this will take some time.

Gman yes I was reading you only need connect 2 and 5 and I have not to Krause the current .

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep the idea was to move the phone and modem. But I think a Ethernet cable will have to do thanks for all the help,

Cheers

·
Registered
732 Posts
Just get ourself a wireless dongle from sky to plug in the back. I've got one for mine, works a treat. Only watched the anytime once though, there's not a lot on it!

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,352 Posts
Sky sucks for on demand content and it all has to be downloaded, it doesn't matter how good they try and make it they'll never match Virgin Media on that side. I'll never move to a non-cabled area again!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Only for the first year Sean...then you can disconnect it...
I pulled the phone line straight out of my sky box about 5 minutes after it was installed by a ham fisted 'engineer' who just nailed it on top of the skirting boards wavier than a tsunami. Never got a letter or anything. Just get a message pop up on the screen after the box has been powered off and on again about it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Ive had sky installed for 3 years and its never been connected to the phone line, the engineer that came and installed it made me a long cable to run under the carpet if I wanted it to be connected, he just left it above the carpet as I said does it need to be in all the time, his reply, as long as its still plugged in when I leave they'll be no problem with you unplugging it!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts