Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!
So I recently bought a 2013 Mk3 St2 and it's lovely! However, getting it into reverse and first seems to be becoming more and more difficult, also 5th gear has now piped up and wants in on the action too. It feels like a cable/linkage problem more than clutch or gearbox internals.. Anyone had a similar issue and know a solution? Tia.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello all!
So I recently bought a 2013 Mk3 St2 and it's lovely! However, getting it into reverse and first seems to be becoming more and more difficult, also 5th gear has now piped up and wants in on the action too. It feels like a cable/linkage problem more than clutch or gearbox internals.. Anyone had a similar issue and know a solution? Tia.
I should also point out I have installed a direnza short shift linkage, however the issue existed before the installation of that.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I should also point out I have installed a direnza short shift linkage, however the issue existed before the installation of that.
You can try doing a gear linkage reset. Trace the gear linkage rods back towards the bulkhead, along their length (a short way behind the short shifter) is a cube shaped item. Put it into neutral, pull the inner insert part way out of the cube until it stops, do NOT try to fully separate the assembly (when you look at it, you will see how the two pieces slide apart) then put it into 4th gear, and press the insert back into place. Hey presto, the linkage will now be reset. Whether this resolves your specific issue though, remains to be seen, but worth a try nonetheless.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Electrical wiring

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could try recalibration of the shifter cable, takes 2 minutes and its free...

Under the airbox area theres a white clip on the shift cable close to where it attaches to the shift arm. With the engine off, you would move the clip to the left to release it, put the car into 4th gear, move the clip back to the right to re-engage it and put it back into neutral. All done.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive lighting

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can try doing a gear linkage reset. Trace the gear linkage rods back towards the bulkhead, along their length (a short way behind the short shifter) is a cube shaped item. Put it into neutral, pull the inner insert part way out of the cube until it stops, do NOT try to fully separate the assembly (when you look at it, you will see how the two pieces slide apart) then put it into 4th gear, and press the insert back into place. Hey presto, the linkage will now be reset. Whether this resolves your specific issue though, remains to be seen, but worth a try nonetheless.
Just beat me to it! (y)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts