Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the topic title really, I have noticed when the engine is cold and I sometimes rev it a bit to warm it up quicker (sat in the drive), it won't go beyond 3k revs until it is warm. Also get some stutter when giving it large when the engine is warm-ish. Is this normal? Not a technical guy at all, just a driver
I must point out that once the engine is hot I have zero issues at all. Sorry for been numb
I am running DS performance + for the winter and have DS induction and IC too.

So does the engine have a limiter to protect it when cold?

·
Registered
648 Posts
i think so

i noticed the other day my rev warning light comes on very early on a cold engine

not had the limmiter cut in though...

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Are you sure you don't have the clutch in?

If the clutch is in, you are limited to 3500 revs, it's to protect you from dumping the clutch at high revs and wrecking the engine.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE(kosmo @ 2 Jan 2010, 07:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Are you sure you don't have the clutch in?

If the clutch is in, you are limited to 3500 revs, it's to protect you from dumping the clutch at high revs and wrecking the engine.

Good point, I drop the clutch initally to start the engine, but then raise it, but I will try it tommororw and see with the clutch up - cheers mate

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
I think with the DS maps they bring on the shift light at lower rpm's when the engine is cold but it doesn't actually limit the revs.

·
Registered
648 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 2 Jan 2010, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think with the DS maps they bring on the shift light at lower rpm's when the engine is cold but it doesn't actually limit the revs.

thats what im getting

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 2 Jan 2010, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think with the DS maps they bring on the shift light at lower rpm's when the engine is cold but it doesn't actually limit the revs.

No lights for me, just the cut out at 3k - must depend on model, mines an 07 ST2

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
Thought it worked with all DS maps on cars up to around 08 when Ford changed the way the light works in the cluster?

·
Registered
61 Posts
QUOTE(IansFrenzy @ 2 Jan 2010, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just as the topic title really, I have noticed when the engine is cold and I sometimes rev it a bit to warm it up quicker (sat in the drive), it won't go beyond 3k revs until it is warm. Also get some stutter when giving it large when the engine is warm-ish. Is this normal? Not a technical guy at all, just a driver
I must point out that once the engine is hot I have zero issues at all. Sorry for been numb
I am running DS performance + for the winter and have DS induction and IC too.

So does the engine have a limiter to protect it when cold?

mine does exactly the same mate so dont worry about it however i only noticed after DS remap will put it back to standard some day to try it

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(brian27 @ 2 Jan 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>mine does exactly the same mate so dont worry about it however i only noticed after DS remap will put it back to standard some day to try it

Cheers fella, must admit now you mention it, so did I

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE(troy45 @ 2 Jan 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thought it worked with all DS maps on cars up to around 08 when Ford changed the way the light works in the cluster?

Thats beyond me really mate, I just know I don't get a shift light

·
Registered
3,635 Posts

yes thats right

·
FocusSTOC Nut&#33;
17,448 Posts
mine does it also mate with the map thats on mine. when its almost at optimum temp its ok. i had work done on mine by ford & they reflashed the ecu with 09 software. that is when i started to notice it. either that or its wrote into the map that i got done the evening the car came back from ford! think its just a safety feature. the map i am running is a live map to suit the car & my driving style & is very aggressive, just like the wife

·
Registered
ST225 modified
4,072 Posts
TBH I dont think you should be revving your cold engine over 3000rpm to warm it up anyway

Its much better for the engine to be done gradually... so just drive off and keep to 'normal' speeds for a few mins and it will be warm soon enough ...

Wait til the oil temp guage starts to move up a bit and then you're good to go

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(FastEddie @ 4 Jan 2010, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>TBH I dont think you should be revving your cold engine over 3000rpm to warm it up anyway

Its much better for the engine to be done gradually... so just drive off and keep to 'normal' speeds for a few mins and it will be warm soon enough ...

Wait til the oil temp guage starts to move up a bit and then you're good to go

Nice one mate
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts