Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have full ipod control from my headunit. I currently have a Gen1 Sony headunit. If I were to change this to the later headunit fitted to the facelift ST's when USB was an option could I retrofit this all to my car to enable full ipod control?

Is this at all possible or am I barking up the wrong tree??

Any help or advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I wondered this myself, I think a few have attmpted this on here mate, but i think after you've factored in the cost and hassle you may as well shell out for a decent aftermarket headunit with touchscreen and an ipod ready usb connection and just feed it into your glovebox. Unless of course you want to keep the factory look!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really want the factory look and money isnt really an issue for me id rather have the standard headunit with ipod control rather than an aftermarket unit but thats just my preference.

I can't see an issue with this it would just be sourcing the right USB parts from Ford and finding a way to feed the cable into the glovebox (which wouldn't be too hard) and of course finding a dealer friendly enough to update the headunit to enable the ipod control.

Unless im missing something

·
Registered
59 Posts
You'll be looking at a cost of about £500, including a second hand Sony headunit.

See my post at the end here for parts and retrofit harness mods :-

http://www.ffoc.co.uk/modules.php?name=For...ic&t=182822

Two other points to remember :-

1. The gen2 Sony needs to support USB (see link in above post for info).

2. Make sure you are buying a Sony that is for the Focus - if Ford part no. starts 7S7T or 8S7T it's for the Mondeo and will not work (BT and VC).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also want this in my prefacelift ST (sep 07) with BVC without USB, I bought the Nokia module with USB, the cable and the USB socket, but my Sony is 1 CD and its version begins with 04-XX-XX so is OLD.. then I try to update this through the usb.. but the update never run.. just the usb flash but no update running or something.

I waiting for an opportunity of trying a Sony 6CD from a facelift ST.. but we are just 3 STs in my city.

·
Registered
93 Posts
QUOTE(Subiaur @ 23 Feb 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I also want this in my prefacelift ST (sep 07) with BVC without USB, I bought the Nokia module with USB, the cable and the USB socket, but my Sony is 1 CD and its version begins with 04-XX-XX so is OLD.. then I try to update this through the usb.. but the update never run.. just the usb flash but no update running or something.

I waiting for an opportunity of trying a Sony 6CD from a facelift ST.. but we are just 3 STs in my city.

I have a pre-facelift with the later 6CD changer Sony headunit, how would one update the software then? I'd love USB support on mine, but I have an 04 version firmware it seems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
QUOTE(mikeh @ 23 Feb 2010, 08:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have a pre-facelift with the later 6CD changer Sony headunit, how would one update the software then? I'd love USB support on mine, but I have an 04 version firmware it seems.

Am I right in thinking that your Sony Gen2 is the version that clips in rather than the later ones that bolt in?

Like the one below.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't think so, I haven't observed any gaps around the stereo as your picture suggests.

Also observe the different logos.

You can see the stereo in the edge of this picture (sorry only one I have)

and a video of the secret menu here:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts