Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I drowned the ST a few weeks back, and the insurance company decided to write it off
, I've found a stopgap replacement ...

Shopping for a late model facelift in the new year, so anyone looking to sell ...

Merry Christmas all!!

Attachments

·
Registered
904 Posts
Mine will be up for grabs... 2010 FW with less than 23k miles. Will be totally standard unless you'd want the Collins Stage 2 map leaving on?? PM me for more details.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Nice cars the Audi s4 and great for the winter. How does it compare to the ST

What happened to your ST mate did the engine get hyrdrolocked?

Neil
Greenlight
S4 is a totally different beast - quicker than the ST, but less involving and nowhere near as much fun to drive. I find myself missing the little things on my ST, like keyless entry/start and the DAB. The Audi was a bargain, though, and definitely better for the winter if the weather goes bad.

I have yet to see the detailed report on the ST, but that is pretty much my guess - summary from engineer is "vehicle has sustained water ingress to the engine ... full failure along with contamination to air intake system"

The £9k estimate to fix was borderline, until they factored in "there might be something we haven't found yet". Ah well - get to start again with a clean sheet. Got a brand new AS CAIS that I hadn't got around to fitting ...

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Oh Christ mate you must be gutted.

If you still wanted to keep the ST and avoid it being declared a write off.

Have you considered seeing if your insurer would do cash in lieu of repairs and then you could take the money and potentially pay a visit to one of the tuners to fully rebuild the engine with uprated pistons etc....you could even look at the RS engine swap?

You may get a lot more for your money going to a tuner than an insurance companies garage.

Best regards
Neil
Greenlight insurance
01277 376000

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If you could I would see if you could buy it back (if written off) and fit an. RS engine. Even if its cat c (costs) its not like its been bounced in and back out of a ditch

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh Christ mate you must be gutted.

If you still wanted to keep the ST and avoid it being declared a write off.

Have you considered seeing if your insurer would do cash in lieu of repairs and then you could take the money and potentially pay a visit to one of the tuners to fully rebuild the engine with uprated pistons etc....you could even look at the RS engine swap?

You may get a lot more for your money going to a tuner than an insurance companies garage.

Best regards
Neil
Greenlight insurance
01277 376000
Thanks for the input, Neil - have to say, you're more helpful than my insurers (who shall remain nameless for now). Will definitely give you a call/pm for the next one ...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yes, mate - funnily enough (funny-peculiar, not funny-ha-ha), this was the reason I missed the RR where I was hoping to get a before- measure of performance prior to modding and going to Stage 2.

Ironic, huh?

It's cat d and I have asked for a price to buy it back - not sure if I've the spare time or space to go this route, though ...
I think it may be around 10% of the pay out as we have bought cars back for buttons one of which was an 04 audi A4 tdi for £450. The payout was £4300. May be worth a call though

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
If you took cash in lieu of repairs it may not even need to go on as total loss.

If you wanted to give me call at the office tommorrow Im in until 2pm wecould talk you through a few options you may want to consider. I know the policy isn't with us but I'd happily offer advice if you wanted to a fellow forum member.

I could even make some calls on your behalf if you wanted if you.

You may be able to take a cash payment from you insurer and retain the car then get it transported to a tuner for a RS transplant and avoid the vehicle being written off.

Best regards
Neil
Greenlight insurance
01277 376000

·
Registered
12,607 Posts
If you wanted to give me call at the office tommorrow Im in until 2pm wecould talk you through a few options you may want to consider. I know the policy isn't with us but I'd happily offer advice if you wanted to a fellow forum member.

I could even make some calls on your behalf if you wanted if you.
Top notch non-customer service there!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Happy to help regardless guys.

Just don't want to see him lose his pride and joy and there are often options that insurance companies won't suggest at the settlement stage.

Plus with the forum we have access to a wealth of knowledge in the tuners/sponsors which can often lead to getting a much better job done for less than an insurance approved repairer would charge.

If the £9k was borderline you could get some serious work at a tuner for that ). Not sure if any of the RS transplant guys on the forum could give a ball park figure of how much the engine conversion cost?

The insurer would probably rather not total loss the car as well as it will end up costing them more in the long run.

Best regards
Neil
Greenlight

1 - 15 of 15 Posts