Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whilst our ST is in the repair shop being fixed I was thinking of removing the space saver fro the boot to give the missus a bit more space for carting around the pram etc and he is also planning on a trip to ee her Aunty and a bit more boot space would be good. Can the bracket in the middle of the boot be removed at all and if not what do you think would be the best workaround to get a bit more boot space?

Bought it with the wheel as would also prefer to have one arund just in case

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
It'll be either rivitted or welded to the rear floor mate - I looked at one in a car on the weekend but didn't pull the matting clear to see how it was fixed. In theory you could drill rivets out but you'd then need to seal the holes. Not a simple job and possibly you'd cause warranty issues too.

Best quick fix - remove all the wheel, jack, stowage trays etc and put some foam over it or a thick towel etc to stop the bracket damaging everything.

It's usually the other way round and people want to know how to fit one to a car which didn't come with the space saver as standard lol

·
Registered
148 Posts
QUOTE(troy45 @ 11 Feb 2010, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's usually the other way round and people want to know how to fit one to a car which didn't come with the space saver as standard lol

I know exactly what you mean. My spare wheel bracket is glued on with Araldite!

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
It is riveted in our lasses.

We have never had a spare in there, due to space needed for the pram etc.

What I have done istake all the gubbins out, then put the standard 'shorter' carpet/board that came with the car back in (over it) on the floor and then put a rubber boot liner (available form Fraud for about £40) for a standard focus over it, there is a slight bump in the middle but not that it makes any difference.

Also with the rubber boot liner you do not have to worry about getting the carpet mat dirty etc

By keepping the fixing in place you can always put the spare in if needed

·
Registered
11,382 Posts
The spare wheel was a no cost option (I think they may charge for it now). I fhte car was not specified with it when ordered it just came a a trye repair kit 9that is pants)

If you had the spare wheel fitted it raised the boot floor about 5". so less room (depth) for prams etc hence why I took it out and kept the spar ein the garage just in case (if our lass had a spare she would call me out to fix it so I would just pop home to get jack, wheel and a braker bar etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts