Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
as per title, abit of a newbie but had for st for abit and quite like the subtle sound of the standard exhaust but wouldn't mind maybe a little bit more of that noise and more pops and bangs, got a k&n Gen 2 which already gives alot of pops and bangs so would removing the middle silencer give it any more noise or even better performance?

thanks

·
Banned
6,700 Posts
as per title, abit of a newbie but had for st for abit and quite like the subtle sound of the standard exhaust but wouldn't mind maybe a little bit more of that noise and more pops and bangs, got a k&n Gen 2 which already gives alot of pops and bangs so would removing the middle silencer give it any more noise or even better performance?

thanks
I looked into this once but it started to get tricky because you can't just replace it with a straight section of pipe. At one end of the mid silencer the pipe bends directly into/out of it so there's no straight section to join onto, and also the mid-box has an exhaust hanger bracket welded to it so you'd have to make a new one up mounted onto the original pipework or your new section.

Not impossible if you take it to a decent fabricator but bit more complicated than it maybe seems originally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A lot of guys in Aus do this. It is very easy to do. Takes maybe 15 mins by an exhaust shop. You can either put a straight pipe in or a 10 inch "hot dog".

Have a look on the XR5 forum and look for "de-res".

Car sounds a lot better. Much more banging and a deeper growl to it.

Costs us about $60 to do it. About 40 pounds....

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for the replies, ill probably pop down to my local exhaust center and get them to have a look for me

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
havent had mine done yet, did it make any difference in sound on yours? louder? more pops?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Any more info on this guys?
I may do it to my Janspeed cat back as it has a middle sliencer before the back box so I fancy swapping this for a straight through piece of pipe to make it a growl a bit louder.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Any more info on this guys?
I may do it to my Janspeed cat back as it has a middle sliencer before the back box so I fancy swapping this for a straight through piece of pipe to make it a growl a bit louder.
Any more info on this? Has anybody done it?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
intrested to see if this is possible , a friend of mine had this done to his m5 in the summer and it was quite cheap , sounds amazing now ....

·
Registered
275 Posts
My friends getting a new centre pipe added tomorrow at JP Exhausts in Macclesfield on his 10 plate scooby so I might ask them to have a look and give me a quote.
If its not alot I will get it done. I would get a decat but I don't want the hasstle of changing it every MOT time and I don't want my insurance to be void and I don't want the mil light to keep coming up.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my local exhaust place quoted me £80 to do it lol i havent had mine done yet though

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Im swapping from DS catback to Piper catback very soon, this will irradicate my centre silencer with the subtlety of a sledge hammer to the face!

From

To

Notice the lack of silencer in the Piper

& the best bit....... its costing me nothing to swap!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have been thinking about doing a similar sort of thing but having a 3'' pipe put in from cat to rear silencer. As I would like a bit more growl but not too much and keeping the standard look.
. If anybody has more info on this please let me know. Thanks

1 - 20 of 90 Posts