Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I've got a fog light cover that I'm going to fit. The instructions seem fairly straightforward and says it should only be attempted by an experienced car trim fitter etc etc, cannot be held responsible if you attempt this yourself etc...

How easy is it to remove the fog light trim and then clip it back in? Is it fiddly? The instructions are making me think I shouldn't attempt it but on the other hand, the manufacturer is probably just covering themselves and disclaiming responsibility should anything go wrong with the process and damage is caused during removal and fitting.

Has anyone taken this trim off? I do have the trim removal tool.

This is what I've ordered..

Thanks guys and gals!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Morning.
To be fair they are pretty easy to remove using a trim tool. I'm not the most confident at fiddling with something that could cause unnecessary expense but if you're careful and take your time then you'll be fine and don't get to nervous if you hear a couple of loud cracks as they clips of the bezel release!!. Be careful not to break the clips off though. You may be able to fit the covers without removing the trim ( I did manage it on one side) but had to take the plunge on the other. The hardest thing was getting them in the right position for the tape pads but I simply put the cover on the lens, Drew a pencil line around it then I could see exactly how they fitted and where to put the sticky pad things. I've put a link up to a YouTube clip just to give you an idea.....

Others on here will maybe have some other options and we're all helpful but at the end of the day it's down to yourself and the how confident you are!! I like those covers and it looks like I'll be getting some to replace the ones I have!!

Good luck!

Cheers G

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here's a link to a previous thread....might be relevant

·
Super Moderator
2019 AMG C43
13,585 Posts
They don't look like they will give you much help in thick fog, which is the only time you're supposed to have them on....just saying....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Morning.
To be fair they are pretty easy to remove using a trim tool. I'm not the most confident at fiddling with something that could cause unnecessary expense but if you're careful and take your time then you'll be fine and don't get to nervous if you hear a couple of loud cracks as they clips of the bezel release!!. Be careful not to break the clips off though. You may be able to fit the covers without removing the trim ( I did manage it on one side) but had to take the plunge on the other. The hardest thing was getting them in the right position for the tape pads but I simply put the cover on the lens, Drew a pencil line around it then I could see exactly how they fitted and where to put the sticky pad things. I've put a link up to a YouTube clip just to give you an idea.....

Others on here will maybe have some other options and we're all helpful but at the end of the day it's down to yourself and the how confident you are!! I like those covers and it looks like I'll be getting some to replace the ones I have!!

Good luck!

Cheers G
Evening Glenn,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm still not sure whether I'll attempt it just yet. Some other people are saying don't do it, it's a nightmare and I will end up with broken bits! On the other hand, you found it fairly easy to remove so I might yet give it a go. Can I ask you, when you managed to do one side without removing the cover, how did you cut the new fog light cover down to size and the correct shape? This afternoon I got a piece of paper and a pencil and traced the outline of the visible bulb - it is far smaller than the light cover I want to place over it, so it would mean cutting the new cover considerably to make it fit - but it's quite thick material so I'm not sure how I'm going to cut it neatly into the correct size. I can only think that removing the trim cover is the only way to fit it, but as I say am still thinking if I'm gonna take the plunge. One one of the other threads a couple of people have said 'don't do it' and I don't want those words echoing in my head as I look down at small pieces of broken plastic on the floor lol.

I'm taking the car to the Ford dealership next week for them to investigate a phantom headlight warning message, so I might ask them if they are willing to do it? I appreciate your reply!!!

Cheers Michael

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Morning.

Good luck!

Cheers G

PS Glenn, just looked at your ST profile pic. I like what you've done with it. Same colour as mine, Stealth Grey. I could see your fog covers in the photo - are they from CEUK? Also, have you got the shark fin ariel on yours? I can't see from the photo. Nice work!

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
I got mine off 'ThatFogLightGuy' I think it was. I agree that they will restrict the light coming out of the lamp during fog but given that I can count on the fingers of one hand when I have actually had to use my front foglights all the time I have been driving I was prepared to risk it! I wouldn't go cutting them down though as they are meant to be bigger that the hole in the trim. Hence you can slide them under & then press the tape down but to be honest it is very easy to just pull the trim off - especially if you have some trim tools. I used a pencil to draw around the opening onto the lamp, then pulled the trim off & attached the cover centrally over the pencil marks before clipping the trim back on. Took a whole 5 minutes to do both sides!

Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Grille

·
Registered
52 Posts
Evening Glenn,

Thanks for your detailed reply. I'm still not sure whether I'll attempt it just yet. Some other people are saying don't do it, it's a nightmare and I will end up with broken bits! On the other hand, you found it fairly easy to remove so I might yet give it a go. Can I ask you, when you managed to do one side without removing the cover, how did you cut the new fog light cover down to size and the correct shape? This afternoon I got a piece of paper and a pencil and traced the outline of the visible bulb - it is far smaller than the light cover I want to place over it, so it would mean cutting the new cover considerably to make it fit - but it's quite thick material so I'm not sure how I'm going to cut it neatly into the correct size. I can only think that removing the trim cover is the only way to fit it, but as I say am still thinking if I'm gonna take the plunge. One one of the other threads a couple of people have said 'don't do it' and I don't want those words echoing in my head as I look down at small pieces of broken plastic on the floor lol.

I'm taking the car to the Ford dealership next week for them to investigate a phantom headlight warning message, so I might ask them if they are willing to do it? I appreciate your reply!!!

Cheers Michael
Cheers Michael, to be honest Nick has best described everything I more or less did regarding sliding the cover under the trim and onto the lens. I did take the trim off one side just to see if it were any better to fit....and out of curiosity to see how easy it was to take the trim off. Patience and care was the order of the day and I had no issues at all. The car sailed through its MOT with the covers fitted and there still is light poking through but in all fairness I've rarely used the fog lamps in the 2 yrs I've owned the car!. Cheers for the compliment too, I've added bits finance permitted and I've a few things to add eventually but I'm currently saving for new tyres as safety takes the priority! Must admit I'm 50/50 with SG, it scrubs up well but with the car being my daily driver I'm alarmed at how easy it gets stone chipped, even driving cautiously giving plenty of space to the vehicles in front!! Should've gone for silver or white then at least I wouldn't get too depressed when it comes to cleaning time !🤣🤣...

Good luck with yours mate (y) 😃

Cheers Glenn

1 - 8 of 8 Posts